News on wearable technologies for research

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Ravn, Aug 17, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2024
    forestglip, Ash, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds potentially exciting for ME research, even just to provide a better description of our symptoms even before evaluating any interventions.

forestglip, Ash, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just saw on the news here that these have been used for remote monitoring of Covid patients and that NZ is going to trial them for other conditions.

A quick google shows trials elsewhere, too. Mainly, it seems, for cancer patients at high risk of infections due to their lowered immunity. The patches seem to be good at picking up changes in body temperature and the algorithm takes into account the individual patients' normal when assessing the relevance of changes in temperature (something literally coldblooded me has long been wondering about)

Didn't see anything regarding the other stuff the device monitors, like body position, RHR and gait, but only looked for 30 seconds.

Still think that if it works as advertised this device would have some very useful applications in ME research

4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied post
    Just to add the I have recently had a sleep apnea test using an NHS wearable, an acupebble. It arrived by post, was worn overnight and was then returned by post. It was easy to apply and remove. The difficult bit was going to sleep with it on but that happened eventually. It was much easier than going to a sleep lab for assessment.

I received a text saying the test had been successfully completed but haven't seen the respiratory physician to receive the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2024
  5. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was finally diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea recently. I’ve gone from severe to moderate since I got cpap. It took me years to persuade a GP to refer me. Apparently loud snoring, stopping breathing for up to a minute at a time and chocking and struggling to start breathing repeatedly “doesn’t necessarily mean it’s sleep apnoea”.
    And yet the wearable recorded 29 episodes per hour. 30 and up is classed as “severe”

Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 2:07 AM
    Sasha, Trish, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad you have made progress since having your test and that it was worth your while.

Am finding it a bit frustrating because my follow up respiratory appointment isn't until middle of next year. I don't actually feel I have sleep apnea but am having other resp tests and that one was added on because I sleep so badly. Am feeling overwhelmed with medical appointments- when that subsides I will do some ringing round and see what is happening.

MrMagoo, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's really good news. Such a pity the GP was so slow to believe you.

Binkie4, MrMagoo and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My neck isn’t big enough, and I’m not a man over 50 so I didn’t meet the criteria.

Peter Trewhitt, Binkie4 and Trish like this.