NHS Scotland Glandular Fever advice pages

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by bobbler, Sep 30, 2022.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...ndular-fever#complications-of-glandular-fever

I've linked to the complications page first, but the rest of its is here: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/glandular-fever

*EDITED to add in actual example in quote box:

I know this isn't 'news' on this illness. But as one of the biggies related to ME (and that is bad news if you already have ME) I was interested to come across this and be outraged that a similar attitude issue seems to be going here here - with blase comments about 'if you get really bad one key part is to grade up your exercise to ward off fatigue or 'cfs''.

I'm just outraged at the stupidity said with such utter arrogance here. This will undermine even those who are smarter than the person writing it who might ignore it and be offered no support at all should they have glandular fever that lasts more than 2-3 weeks (which more me used to be the time for acute tonsilitis, not GF - even if it is all on a scale).

To pass off and start writing anyone still tired at these increasing timescales needs to do more - in such a way that will infer to others that those who are more ill longer (which will have been caused by that bad advice) are to blame for it due to not doing enough (when the reason would have at least partly been the opposite - again due to bad advice). The implications are huge.

Anyway I could go on, but would like others comments/discussion on this topic (and didn't know where to put it).

Seems obvious this interacts two-way with the issue/ideology/problem children/push underlying ME/CFS.

It's also something massively relevant to tackle with the MPs groups because if you don't list how 'rooted' the bigotry has spread then I think it all needs to be rooted out and extinguished together. This is about more than one illness (for all their excuses) whatever hatred bigotry or agenda it is backfilling into other things (as well as noting MUS) meaning someone getting GF one day is walking into a process whereby bigotry and cutting off access to investigations starts at 3 weeks due to BPS

- yet research/science is making it clear it is implicated in a lot of serious things. And should maybe on be on a register for 'watch' of long-term outcomes or at least better flagged and categorised in histories and note things to mean something (don't know if US treats it differently re: history and notes)? if only just so people can't write the above nonsense because the stats can debunk the 'thin air made up stuff'

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is bizarre. I've never knowingly had glandular fever, but for as long as I can remember I have known about the long recovery period it requires in some people and just accepted it as part of that particular disease. I didn't realise that there were people classifying it as CFS or ME or (the obvious implication being made) malingering.

It is insane that at one point in the complications page it says :

and then later on the same page it describes the risk of enlarged spleen which may rupture :

The text isn't internally consistent, and suggests that the risk of enlarged / ruptured spleen may be about to get substantially higher in Scotland.

3. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had ME/CFS originally diagnosed following glandular fever. I can't remember how long I had been ill for but it was over 6 months and less than a year. It seemed to be common knowledge that you can develop ME afterwards. This was like 20 years ago. What has happened?

4. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too @Ariel, and it was my GPs plural who told me not to do too much when I went to them not recovered at 3 and at 6 months they said I was at risk of “ME” -they used that term-and at around nine months told me I may already have it.

Trish likes this.