NIH: All of Us Research Program

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, May 16, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.joinallofus.org/together

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Established Member

Is this only for People in the US?

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There doesn't appear to be any details yet. No registration form. Seems like just announcing the project. It mentions possible bio samples so probably US only, if it happens at all. We've been hearing about patient engagement for years, still an empty promise. Possible feel-good fluff (my cynicism is a bit high right now...).

Samuel and Andy like this.
  4. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

This does not seem to be dedicated to ME/CFS patients in particular. I dont want to sound sceptical but why would I give out samples for an unknown cause? It is as bad as giving out your social security number or credit card information to strangers or signing a contract you have never read.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems to be about identifying gaps in medical care in a generic sense. It's a good idea in principle.

But then given what the NIH does about gaps it already knows about, no good reason to be optimistic. Those things tend to be exercises in confirmation bias, where interpretation of the results is highly cherry-picked according to what the stakeholders want to be true.

Snow Leopard likes this.
  6. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

+1

I think they erroneously think they can fix that simply with a lot of Big Data, but that’s only one piece—and doesn’t fix the process problems that exist at NIH.

Also, it will take a long time and there are pressing needs now.

Also, big data is only as good as the programmers. More information can reduce bias but programming can amplify bias, too. Hopefully they’re actively trying to reduce it.

That being said it’s a possible way to generate data on morbidity and mortality in ME (even though I doubt they measure anything relevant to ME itself).

Snow Leopard likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02509-4

Trish likes this.