NY Times: Five Things I Wish I’d Known Before My Chronic Illness [principally about IBD]

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/...-knew-chronic-illness-crohns-disease-ibd.html

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I normally ignore articles with arbitrary numbers in the title (x things abou ... ). However this is not as bad as most.

Hutan, shak8 and Andy like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good article, I thought.

Hutan, shak8 and Andy like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great article. Completely familiar issues. Non-fluffy advice which is a real relief to see. A good reminder that many others share similar issues, up to a point.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Would be great to have a well controlled chronic condition- not that I would wish her illness on myself or anyone.

DokaGirl, shak8 and Andy like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Friend of mine (ex-friend really) has ulcerative colitis (belongs to the chronic inflammatory, crohn's family). Her risk of bowel cancer is 37x normal. She has immune attacks on leg vessels, random, who-knows-where next attacks.

So, not well controlled. Also has scar tissue in rectal area which interferes with sexual pleasure. Has a rectal pouch for feces that she has to flush out (like wiping one's butt).

No picnic. Not under control except for the moment, at times. Does vary per patient how extensive the disease is.

NelliePledge and Dr Carrot like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. shak8

No, not a rectocele. A surgically made pouch because of getting rid of much of the rectum due to the severe inflammatory process there (and elsewhere in the colon).

Arnie Pye likes this.
  9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor woman! :(

NelliePledge likes this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

@shak8 yes I realise other conditions can be tough even ones where there are effective medications there are folks Who still have a very rough time of it when they have a more severe version of their condition less able to be managed. But for example I know someone who has gout and had terrible episodes of excruciating pain for a while but then got an effective medication regime and hasn’t had an episode for years. Similarly well controlled diabetes. Compared to ignoring your symptoms/think yourself better and taking amitryptiline/ other random painkillers which is all I’ve ever been offered.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  11. shak8

I hear you. Point taken!

NelliePledge likes this.