OpenSAFELY Wins CogX Award for Open Science Innovation, 2023, Nick DeVito

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by CRG, Sep 16, 2023.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OpenSAFELY Wins CogX Award for Open Science Innovation

Nick DeVito

We’re delighted to announce that the OpenSAFELY Collaborative has won a prestigious CogX Award for the Best Innovation in Open Source Technology! This award celebrates “revolutionary new releases of an existing suite of open source tools, or completely novel approaches to the open source ecosystem.” The Bennett Institute was represented at the ceremony by Brian MacKenna.

More at link: https://www.bennett.ox.ac.uk/blog/2023/09/opensafely-wins-cogx-award-for-open-science-innovation/

Hutan likes this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Sounds fantastic, what a great resource

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

There is the critical and longstanding issue of how accurate and comprehensive the medical records are, i.e. GIGO.

But in principle it has serious potential, on efficiency grounds alone.

MEMarge, RedFox and Hutan like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, medical records are extremely GIGO. I'll give you my favorite example. A neurologist said I might have a certain genetic disorder, and to see a geneticist. I asked my PCP for a referral for a geneticist, to see if I had this condition. They gave me a referral and then put it on my chart as a diagnosis!

Hutan, Sean, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

@CRG, do you have any contact with the people involved, or any idea about the cost of applying this technology to large health data sources?

Trish likes this.
  6. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry no. I can't even recall which Twitter follow I picked up the link from. However it seems Ben Goldacre is part of the team behind it: https://twitter.com/user/status/1702663011666702428

Hutan likes this.