Orthostatic Intolerance in PwME (POTS?/NMH?)

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance' started by It's M.E. Linda, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also wanted to mention that I feel much improved after 5pm. It's the mornings and early afternoon that affects me the most. My CNS is much calmer in the evenings.

Evergreen, Ravn, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  2. Turtle

Turtle Established Member (Voting Rights)

Never had OI symptoms before ME. The worst in my case brainfog. I went from a final year uni student to not being able to read a book, immedialtely.

MEMarge, Trish, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  3. pooriepoor91

pooriepoor91 Established Member

I definitely had POTS or OI for years before I got ME with PEM. I used to work for 12 hours without any issue, and then after a viral infection in college, I could only be upright for a few hours without having a strong urge to sit or lie down and keep my feet up. And when I had to get an ECG before another college admission, my resting heart rate was in the 90s and the doctor asked me why I was anxious about getting an ECG!! And then one thing led to another, and I got ME with PEM after 4-5 years of having OI/POTS.

4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't recall any OI symptoms before ME but that was decades ago so memory may not be reliable. However, frequent fainting was the reason I was first taking to the doctor after a bad virus so it must have been a prominent change in my parents' eyes. OI was also one of the only 2 issues that persisted in some form through all remissions and relapses (the other one was PEM)

Interestingly, how my OI manifested changed significantly over time. I suspect all pwME have some sort of underlying OI/bloodflow problem but how - or even if - it shows itself in an individual at a given time then depends on other factors like genetic background, comorbidities, ability to move around, compensatory mechanisms the body has developed over time, etc

The possibility of an asymptomatic underlying bloodflow issue of course means that even if we didn't have any overt OI symptoms before ME the problem may have already been brewing under the surface - which isn't really a helpful thought at all, just makes everything even more complicamated

5. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did. I didn't know why I felt rotten if I had a bath, or why I definitely needed a seat for the whole train journey in the morning but could stand for a bit in the evening, or why I wound my legs around each other when seated. But I do now!

MEMarge, SNT Gatchaman, Ravn and 10 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've made a thread for that paper, with accessible link to the PDF here.

MEMarge, ahimsa, Trish and 1 other person like this.