Patients’ Experiences With Therapeutic Approaches for Post-COVID Syndrome: Results of a Crowdsourced Research Survey 2023 Klocke et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Some patients develop multiple protracted sequelae after infection with SARS-CoV-2, collectively known as post-COVID syndrome or long COVID. To date, there is no evidence showing benefit of specific therapies for this condition, and patients likely resort to self-initiated therapies. We aimed to obtain information about therapies used by and needs of this population via inductive crowdsourcing research. Patients completed an online questionnaire about their symptoms and experiences with therapeutic approaches. Responses of 499 participants suggested few approaches (eg, mind-body medicine, respiratory therapy) had positive effects and showed a great need for patient-centered communication (eg, more recognition of this syndrome). Our findings can help design clinical studies and underscore the importance of the holistic approach to care provided by family medicine.

Open access, https://www.annfammed.org/content/21/1/73

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looking more closely at the data, even homeopathy has 25% claiming effectiveness, and aromatherapy 66% which was actually 2 out of a total of 3 people who tried it. And the so called mind body therapy was actually things like yoga and tai chi.

I think the main conclusions from all this should be:

1. Many people with long Covid improve over time, and they have a natural tendency to attribute that improvement to whatever they were trying at the time.
    2. It's silly to lump together people with completely different post Covid symptoms into the same table of results without differentiating what symptoms improved with each treatment.

sebaaa, oldtimer, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  3. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3) Don’t crowdsource surveys?

4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is important finding out what people do, but it is also important with such a heterogeneous group which will contain many people who will improve spontaneously to be sceptical about reports of improvement. It is easy to confuse something you by chance happen to be doing when spontaneous recovery is happening with something that has a causal relationship with that recovery. Also with such as aromatherapy where people might ‘feel’ better whilst undertaking the experience and so report it as a positive experience whereas there may be no change in there underlying function and any ‘psychological’ or ‘emotional’ boost may be dependent on ongoing intervention. Other interventions may provide an ongoing recreational activity even though it is not reasonable to consider them as a possible cure.

Going on the reports of people with ME, so many of us report a desperate trawl of all and everything in the first few years of the condition, but people need reliable information to evaluate what for them will be just a waste of time and money, what will be a pleasurable experience and so potentially provide an emotional boost while it is happening, what is promoting general health so in theory might contribute to creating good circumstances for any spontaneous recovery to happen. Also importantly with Long Covid some symptoms resulting from one off damage might be amenable to improvement with appropriate support but others such as PEM mean that any activity has potential costs and could make the condition worse.

Sean, alktipping and Trish like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I go to aromatherapy massage once a month. It is of great help to me because it relieves muscle aches consequent to my ME. I also suspect that being touched helps my nerves remember how to work but I say that quietly :).

I would rather have a treatment for the disease than something that helps the damage from it. It shows up the dangers of questionnaires taking everything out of context.

sebaaa, oldtimer, Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Another consideration is that typically there is someone benefiting financially from these therapies. If you are, for example, a seller of aromatic oils as part of a MLM scheme, it would be in your interest to report that aromatherapy is fantastic for Long Covid. That reporting might be done cynically or genuinely, but with an online questionnaire, we have no way of assessing which it was. With only 3 people reporting about something, it doesn't take much to skew the result.

Even for some of the therapies that had a lot more people finding them useful, we can't know if, for example, a respiratory therapist circulated the survey link to those of her customers who she knew felt that they had benefited.

Yeah, I think enough time has gone on that we really need to be seeing researchers doing a whole lot better on this. Lung damage is clearly not the same as something compatible with an ME/CFS criteria. It's unlikely that the two will be fixed by the same treatment.

sebaaa, oldtimer, alktipping and 3 others like this.