People on long-term sick leave in England to be offered therapeutic recreation

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People on long-term sick leave in England to be offered therapeutic recreation (msn.com)

MEMarge, Ariel, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw that, but I was too depressed to post it!

I was involved in a couple of projects where social prescribing helped some people who were struggling with their mental health, but it was important they wanted to do it and that it came at the right time for them. If people are pressured into schemes like this before they feel able to engage, there's a risk of reinforcing symptoms instead of helping with them.

I wonder if Jobcentres will be able to design something sensitive enough?

(I may not be wondering about this for long.)

Ash, MEMarge, RedFox and 11 others like this.
  3. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, MEMarge, MeSci and 9 others like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Killing me softly would be apt too if it's the patients doing the singing.

Ash, MEMarge, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I hate the idea of voluntary groups of singers, walkers, gardeners etc being swamped with people who have no interest in doing the activity but are being forced to do it under threat of losing their financial support. I can imagine groups collapsing under the pressure.

I agree, Kitty, it can be helpful for some people with mental health problems such as depression or anxiety, but needs to be entirely their choice, not foisted on them. And if there are people in a group on prescription with the severer end of mental health problems the leaders surely need to be aware and able to be unobtrusively supportive.

MEMarge, MeSci, bobbler and 11 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would love to see the Cochrane review that this policy is based on.
    Double blind singing must be quite a feat.

Ash, MEMarge, bobbler and 15 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The projects I mentioned were offered as healthcare, it was nothing to do with DWP. There was a menu of options to pick from, and no one was under any pressure to take part. Also, it was offered to people who were recovering, and I think that was really important. I know a couple of folk who suffer with depression, and there are times when they wouldn't be able to engage at all.

Participants in group like this have to be ready to step out of the front door and be around people they don't know—it's not therapy, it's about rebuilding confidence and connections. The trouble with projects like this is that they start out as good ideas to help people with their recovery, but then get seized on by politicians as a treatment in themselves. They're not, and they can't be.

Ash, MEMarge, RedFox and 11 others like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd consider assisted dodo farming, as long as someone else dug the holes (to plant the eggs in) and took care of the irrigation.

I suspect that come time to harvest to dodos I may have lost interest, depending on how long it takes to grow a dodo, or I'd need pretty good noise cancelling headphones to remove all the frantic clucking as they dug themselves out and went on a hunt for a pond/lake/ocean (whatever dodos use to clean themselves after hatching before going on a hunt for several of the no remaining British Rail pork pies I assume they eat).

MEMarge, MeSci, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

setting their trap to take peoples benefits away if you refuse to t6ake part then they accuse you of not wanting to get better ,but if you take part you are now fit for work.

Ash, MEMarge, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this was precisely my thought too, almost word for word

Ash, MEMarge, Solstice and 12 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is why the military generally don't like conscription.

Ash, MEMarge, Solstice and 10 others like this.