Trial Report People with Long Covid and ME/CFS Exhibit Similarly Impaired Dexterity and Bimanual Coordination: A Case-Case-Control Study, 2024, Sanal-Hayes

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(24)00091-3/fulltext
    People with Long Covid and ME/CFS Exhibit Similarly Impaired Dexterity and Bimanual Coordination: A Case-Case-Control Study

Open Access
    Published: February 23, 2024
    DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2024.02.003

Abstract

Purpose
    Dexterity and bimanual coordination had not previously been compared between people with long COVID and people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Therefore, this study determined dexterity and bimanual coordination in people with long COVID (∼16 month illness duration; n=21) and ME/CFS (∼16 year illness duration; n=20), versus age-matched healthy controls (n=20).

Methods

Dexterity, and bimanual coordination was determined using the Purdue pegboard test.

Results

The main findings of the present investigation were that people with ME/CFS and people with long COVID were generally comparable for Purdue pegboard tests (p>0.556 and d<0.36 for pairwise comparisons). It is worth noting however, that both these patient groups performed poorer in the Perdue pegboard test than healthy controls (p<0.169 and d>0.40 for pairwise comparisons).

Conclusions

These data suggest that both people with long COVID and people with ME/CFS have similarly impaired dexterity, and bimanual coordination. Therefore, there is an urgent need for interventions to target dexterity and bimanual coordination in people with ME/CFS, and given the current pandemic, people with long COVID.

Key words

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is the kind of study there needs to be a lot more of. Basic motor functions, including gait, balance, coordination, etc. Properly controlled for PEM, of course.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Notes the multiple overlaps of LC with ME/CFS
    Notes that ME/CFS is a debilitating condition
    Notes that there is no known cure or definitive treatment

This 'ruling out peripheral fatiguability thing' - I'm getting the sense from some references I've read lately that it's not as straightforward as that. That the tests that are supposed to separate out peripheral fatigue from central fatigue aren't as clear cut, the signals aren't as pure, as has been supposed. I think we (I) need to understand more about motor evoked potentials and nerve conduction... There are some references given here that might be worth following up on.

'Fine motor slowing' wouldn't be great if you were doing, oh, I don't know, maybe a button tapping task with your non-dominant little finger... (reference to the NIH study)

Peter Trewhitt, Kitty, Trish and 7 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Differences in mean BMI - LC=34; ME/CFS=31; control =24
    Could that affect dexterity?

The study itself doesn't have any electrophysiology stuff, it's just purely measures of success with fine motor tasks.

There is a lot of overlap in the results of the LC and ME/CFS groups with the control group e.g. a typical chart - controls are green
    Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 9.53.16 pm.png

On rehabilitation:
    On psychosomaticism:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Consequently, rehabilitation programs directed at enhancing fine motor skills could be of interest to these patient groups,

*sigh*

6. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but at the same time how fat tissue is deposited on the body can vary a lot, so the size of an effect would be uncertain.