Post-Acute COVID-19 Syndrome and the cardiovascular system: What is known?, 2021, Dixit et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Post-Acute COVID-19 Syndrome (PACS) is defined by persistent symptoms >3–4 weeks after onset of COVID-19. The mechanism of these persistent symptoms is distinct from acute COVID-19 although not completely understood despite the high incidence of PACS. Cardiovascular symptoms such as chest pain and palpitations commonly occur in PACS, but the underlying cause of symptoms is infrequently known. While autopsy studies have shown that the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) rarely causes direct myocardial injury, several syndromes such as myocarditis, pericarditis, and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome have been implicated in PACS. Additionally, patients hospitalized with acute COVID-19 who display biomarker evidence of myocardial injury may have underlying coronary artery disease revealed by the physiological stress of SARS-CoV-2 infection and may benefit from medical optimization. We review what is known about PACS and the cardiovascular system and propose a framework for evaluation and management of related symptoms.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666602221000239

2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know much about the cardiology part but as far as we are concerned, this review is far from great:

This seems to come from the US, UCLA more precisely. Aren't they supposed to be more enlightened about this there? o_O

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Um, I don't think Ella Eastin was ever decondtioned.

Two-time Pac-12 Women’s Swimmer of the Year Ella Eastin has given up her swimming career and chase for the Olympics because of a condition called dysautonomia. The news came this week as part of an announcement that she is one of three former Stanford student-athletes, along with fellow swimmer True Sweetser, to have received a $10,000 NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.

Eastin has not raced in an official meet since December 2019, and left Stanford, where she was training as a post-grad, to return home to Southern California at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

According to the Pac-12 Conference release, Eastin’s dysautonomia may be the result of long-COVID, which is the description given to some long-lasting impacts of the disease caused by the coronavirus that has driven the global pandemic of the last 18 months.

https://swimswam.com/ella-eastin-retires-from-swimming-after-dysautonomia-diagnosis/

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is obviously ridiculous. Why are ridiculous statements so common in medical research? Are these people not aware that most people don't exercise regularly and that deconditioning obviously does not fluctuate or occur from a mere week of lower activity? Or of the circumstances that most people experience LC? Of course not, it would obviously be too much to ask to pay attention.

At least this is showing that the absurdly bad quality of research on ME is not an anomaly, it's the norm wherever chronic health problems are concerned, to the point where basic scientific competence is the exception. No wonder medical research makes so little progress when most efforts are explicitly wasted.

alktipping and Louie41 like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6 - 17 days is about the length of time many people celebrate Christmas and New Year by lazing about, watching TV and eating.

edit and that's how many people spend holidays by the pool I have heard (not that I've ever had one thanks to ME)

rvallee likes this.