Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) in Pediatrics: Factors That Impact Symptom Severity and Referral to Treatment, 2023, Soprano et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

The post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) is a complex condition. While there are emerging studies on its effects in adults, there is scarce research regarding the long-term effects of COVID-19 infection among youth. Several researchers have likened long-haul COVID-19 to chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). In adults, the prognosis for these diagnoses is less promising than that in youth; however, there is currently very little information available on the presentation of youth with PASC. A better understanding of the specific symptom presentation for youth diagnosed with PASC is necessary. Retrospective chart reviews were conducted collecting demographic data, COVID-19 symptoms and disease progression, and vaccination status. Additional data on referrals to a PASC treatment program and appointments attended were collected. Overall, data suggested that youth present with less severe PASC symptoms than adults, and the role of vaccination is unclear. These youth are often not referred to treatment programs. More exploration is necessary to continue to build an understanding of how best to aid youth diagnosed with PASC.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9067/10/11/1805

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly, this is for the best. There are no effective treatments, and most programs are the same old misguided trash.
    From recent threads on the Long Covid sub-reddit asking about experiences with those programs and LC clinics, the word cloud is pretty much: trash, garbage, insulting, patronizing, harmful, quackery, and so on. The most positive comments always, and I mean always, end with "but it didn't help/made no difference" or something like it.

The fanatical obsession with pushing the failed biopsychosocial paradigm is fully responsible for the lack of effective treatments. They keep trying to push square pegs into round holes and pretending that they fit through. Given this, it's preferrable that children not be subjected to harmful misguided quackery.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A biopsychosocial treatment approach [27] is necessary

Jeebus, they are just getting worse and worse.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and RedFox like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

QED [1].
    QED.​

[1] QED.

SNT Gatchaman, Hutan, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw that sentence and it sort of came out of nowhere. They hadn't justified that in any way.

Trish, Hutan, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

My experience with one adult and two young people going through the assessment and monitoring stages for ME/CFS is that medical records are totally inadequate as a representation of symptoms and disease progression for adult patients, and even worse than totally inadequate for young patients.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023