Post-Brexit plan to create elite UK research funder takes shape

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03444-0

shak8 and DokaGirl like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like political posturing and jobs for the boys to me. The idea that you could get an 'independent review' on this is laughable. One of the reviewers says: “Many people have built their careers on EU funding,” he says. If that is curtailed, “it’s a really good use of public money to provide these people with support while they adapt to new ways of working, and not just to dump them”. So it's all about protecting jobs, not research.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about leaving the EU, or not leaving. Whatever did the Romans do for ME/CFS research? Nothing. If anything I think we are better off deciding what to do with our own money ourselves.

rvallee, TrixieStix and DokaGirl like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The EU could be providing meaningful amounts of funding and for useful projects. If they can understand the urgency and the unusual situation and are given competent advice on what to do. The first step has already been taken.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing prevented this from happening in the first place. Yesterday or 5 years ago.

Given the economic impact if it happens, almost zero chance of this happening. Pipe dream.

Let's keep in mind the SMC was created to improve science journalism. The problem of the old boys club stifling science will only be amplified and elite is doing a lot of work here. In the field of medicine you can bet our buddy Simon would play a huge role, with a predictable outcome.

anniekim and JemPD like this.