Post-COVID-19 syndrome and humoral response association after one year in vaccinated and unvaccinated people, Peghin et al, 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Kalliope, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Clinical Microbiology and infection
    Post-COVID-19 syndrome and humoral response association after one year in vaccinated and unvaccinated patients by Maddalena Peghin et al

Abstract

Objectives
    To describe the impact of vaccination and the role of humoral responses on post-coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) syndrome one year after the onset of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).

Methods
    A prospective study. Interviews investigated post-COVID-19 syndrome 6 and 12 months after the disease onset of all adult in- and outpatients with COVID-19 attending Udine Hospital (March–May 2020). Vaccination status and two different serological assays to distinguish between response to vaccination (receptor-binding domain –RBD SARS-CoV-2 IgG) and/or natural infection (non-RBD- SARS-CoV-2 IgG) were also assessed.

Results
    479 individuals (52.6% female, mean age 53 years) were interviewed 13.5 months (0.6 SD) after acute infection. Post-COVID-19 syndrome was observed in 47.2% (226/479) of patients after one year. There were no significant differences in the worsening of post-COVID 19 symptoms (22.7% vs 15.8%, p = 0.209) among vaccinated (n=132) and unvaccinated (n=347) patients. The presence of non-RBD SARS-CoV-2 IgG induced by natural infection showed a significant association with post-COVID-19 syndrome (OR 1.35, 95% CI 1.11–1.64, p = 0.003), and median non-RBD SARS-CoV-2 IgG titres were significantly higher in long-haulers than in patients without symptoms 22 (IQR 9.7–37.2) vs 14.1 (IQR 5.4–31.3) kAU/L, p = 0.009) after one year. In contrast, the presence of RBD SARS-CoV-2 IgG was not associated with the occurrence of post-COVID-19 syndrome (>2500 U/mL vs 0.9–2500 U/mL, OR 1.36, 95% CI 0.62–3.00, p = 0.441) and RBD SARS-CoV-2 IgG titres were similar in long-haulers than in patients without symptoms (50% values > 2500 U/mL vs 55.6% values > 2500 U/mL, p = 0.451)

Conclusions
    The SARS-CoV-2 vaccination is not associated with the emergence of post-COVID-19 symptoms over one year after acute infection. The persistence of high serological titres response induced by natural infection but not by vaccination, may play a role in long-COVID-19.

2. Kalliope

Spotted this on twitter via prof. Kunst who comments:

IMPORTANT FINDING: A key argument for lifting restrictions has been that vaccination substantially reduces chances to get #LongCovid. In a new study, vaccinated people were NOT significantly less likely than unvaccinated to get Long Covid.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts about this study.

ETA: Kunst deleted his original tweet and wrote a new one, so I replaced it here as well

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My main response is that the study is too small and only based at one hospital/clinic to make clear conclusions on epidemiological questions.

There didn't seem to be any data on post covid symptom severity. My main gripe with a lot of long Covid studies, as with MUS and ME studies, is the significance given to the number rather than the severity of symptoms.

There's a big difference between someone who has mild breathlessness when climbing mountains and hasn't quite got their full sense of smell back, but is able to live a full and active life; and someone who has such crushing fatigue/fatiguability/PEM and constant blinding headaches and is bed bound. Yet on this study it would appear that both are classed as having 2 post Covid symptoms.

I thought the most potentially interesting finding was the immunological difference between long covid and fully recovered patients. I don't know enough about immunology to be able to interpret it.

4. Kalliope

Thank you Trish. That's a good point.

I saw that prof. Kunst has written a new comment to the study. With the first comment I got the impression that one was _more_ likely to develop Long Covid as vaccinated, which was quite surprising.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Since the patients in the study had all already had covid before they were vaccinated, this study can't say anything about whether vaccination has any effect on rates of new cases of Long covid.

What it did find, if I understand it correctly, was that vaccination didn't significantly change the number of long covid symptoms in those who already had it (with no assessment of symptom severity).

6. Kalliope

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)