Opinion Post-exertional malaise – A functional brain aberration?, 2024, Wyller

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Aug 21, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Post-exertional malaise – A functional brain aberration?
    Bruun Bratholm Wyller

Comment on Exercise does not cause post-exertional malaise in Veterans with Gulf War Illness: A randomized, controlled, dose–response, crossover study (2024, Brain, Behavior, and Immunity)

Last paragraph —

If confirmed that PEM are best understood as a functional brain aberration, the clinical implications are large. As long as PEM is regarded a consequence of “peripheral” pathophysiological processes, it seems logical to avoid symptom-provoking activities for the fear of harm; indeed, the evolutionary “meaning” of salience signals is to promote avoidance of the situations that provoke them. However, if PEM is a consequence of too dominant a priori-expectations, the goal should be to “re-set” the expectations rather than avoid symptoms, for instance through behavioural approaches that include individually adjusted exertions in a way that facilitate associative learning. This should be further investigated in clinical trials which can be performed without undue safety concerns: The study by Boruch et al. adds to an increasing body of evidence confirming that physical activity is not harmful in conditions characterised by PEM (Tryfonos et al., 2024).

Link | Paywall (Brain, Behavior, and Immunity)

Theresa, shak8, Deanne NZ and 4 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

Theresa, MEMarge, Skycloud and 5 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dude just has zero idea what he's talking about and he can't shut up about it. Just the same old word salad tossed a few times for good measure and put back in the same place.

Sid, Kalliope, EzzieD and 14 others like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Predictive coding is as big a buzz word as effort preference; both will cause harm.

The gravy train just goes on and on ...

Sid, EzzieD, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

o wow they are determined to get their money's worth out of that same old material

This is basically just trying to say PEM is a false belief

maybe with adding in that real nonsense theory about 'the expectation effect'.

Of course I think that the perfect paper that debunks the suggestions of the expectation effect is actually that same old one that has Knoop as part of it, Heins et al (2013):
    The process of cognitive behaviour therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome: Which changes in perpetuating cognitions and behaviour are related to a reduction in fatigue? - ScienceDirect
    Thread here: The process of CBT for CFS: Which changes in perpetuating cognitions and behaviour are related to a reduction in fatigue?, 2013, Knoop et al. | Science for ME (s4me.info)

The thread initially focuses on the part of the paper where there are graphs showing the objective activity and perceived activity.

Basically the various pseudophil ramblings in this try and put some spiel around people think that CBT 'made them less fatigue' based on it making them think they'd done more, when they hadn't. So they were surprised they weren't as tired - but only because they'd metaphorically actually only walked 1 mile and not 2, and thought this CBT must have therefore solved some specific type of fatigue 'response' to the 2miles.

But the graphs (and it gets a bit more complicated than this, as they have 'fast responders and slow responders' to the CBT separated out) show that everyone ended up at the same place with objective activity. No amount of thinking your way around it over the 4 time periods. Which are in essence measuring the 'ME/CFS' impact of this ie the fact you can't just 'increase' activity and still feel OK. Putting aside the PEM in between that may or may not have happened.

I'll underline that's them conning the medical profession, funders and patients into pretending they've fixed something when they instead brainwashed people into losing their calibration of what they'd done, to their advantage.

I can't help but emphasise that this same 'school' ie biopsychosocial then moved to decide to remove reporting any of the objective measures anymore. Papers since came up with every weak excuse under the sun as to why they chose poor subjective measures in unblinded trials (when that would be one of the only ways to make it near triangulated to be accurate), but really this shows that it is because there is no objective effect.

I can only assume because they found they could use this 'CBT tool' to programme in discrepancies in what people subjectively report (because they've been misled into thinking they've done more) instead, because they've brainwashed them or used social pressure/bias so that is higher than reality/objective measures.

It's basically fraudulent isn't it? except they get away with it because they are using the patient sample as the 'vessel' through which to insert this lie into their research - and you can't blame the patients for the fraud because they've been brainwashed/coerced/conned.

I also note that the patients targeted and situations created have always begun with those most vulnerable, and indeed the biggest power differential - hence the coercion being solidly involved. It hardly ever escapes me that the two areas of ME, where people have been actively campaigned against to be maligned, and soldiers who once enlisted are under more control than other citizens must be two of the most obviously vulnerable groups, and noone is picking up on it being sus/weird and that those who are attracted to such groups need to be viewed with extra oversight given other historical things we now look back and on and realise 'how did we not see that the wrong types would be attracted to places where vulnerable x, y, z are'. It is a potential huge ethical scandal to me so I'm always shocked outsiders don't pick up on this.

I knew that post-guideline certain individuals would try and attack the concept of PEM. And this new article is just the same blather with an 'insert a different word' really. I can't believe they'll use this and try and pretend it isn't just fancy words for 'hysterical woman/drama queen/hypochondriac' ie their attitude problem disguised, a sociology paper in them expounding what is behind the bigotry/mis-thinking rather than some sort of medical or scientific observation. Pure propaganda by literally hooking tropes together in sequence and one big claim, but it is all non-sequitur?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2024
    oldtimer, Lou B Lou, EzzieD and 10 others like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't GWI like Long Covid, in the sense that people have all sorts of different things? My understanding is that only a subset would have PEM, as with Long Covid. There's no point in testing exercise in people who aren't reporting PEM, which seems to be what they did. Since they found nothing, Wyller's conclusions or comments have no bearing on anything.

7. SNT Gatchaman

Exactly. Apart from it being in the title, the discussion says:

oldtimer, EzzieD, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PEM is difficult to manage because if I listen to my body, it can feel very capable of doing activities and I tend to be motivated as well. Later, I "discover" that I can't actually do as much as it felt like I would be able to do and that it was too much and is causing a higher symptom burden than I would have been willing to accept. This idea of having excessively negative expectations is contrary to the lived experience. If anything the tendency is strongly to underestimate PEM.

My impression is that, since patients can't trust how their body feels and what it's telling them, they tend to develop a strategy to minimize PEM that relies heavily on conscious effort, rules and memories rather than emotional state and current perception of the body's capabilities. This strategy is pacing. Outside observers might observe the thoughts and beliefs associated with pacing and misinterpret them as a maladaptive because it differs from the norm.

I'm also wondering if associative learning is inadequate when it comes to PEM because PEM is delayed with respect to the trigger so it becomes difficult to associate the trigger with the response.

Associative learning might work better with symptoms that occur during the activity, like fatigue.

Sid, EzzieD, alktipping and 16 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor old Wyller has not noticed that the predictive coding model of Mark Edwards is back to front.

EzzieD, alktipping, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a reason patients are so interested in explanations for PEM that involve basic physiological processes. Having PEM willl alter one's mental state (thoughts, beliefs, expectations, emotions, motivation, etc.) while these things don't seem to have any role in causing PEM. We live with PEM and know how it behaves.

Why bother trying to manipulate the patient's perception of the activity when there is no apparent correlation between that and PEM?

If the perception was important, it would be obvious.

oldtimer, EzzieD, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And it has been tested - in the PACE trial.
    Treatments aimed at changing perceptions did change (reported) perceptions, but made no difference to objective measures of disability.

The weird thing is that if the predictive coding model is right then the CBT therapist should be telling patients to expect exercise to feel really terrible and for muscles to be really painful. The brain would then be pleasantly surprised and want to do more exercise. Since when did CBT tell people to think things are much worse than they already do?

oldtimer, EzzieD, alktipping and 16 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly he's not the only one.

alktipping, MEMarge, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  13. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly! Always a lot of words about what could be if the stars align, but failing to ask the most central question: What experiments would confirm this, and how do they differ from the work that has already been done?

EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  14. bobbler

Precisely. All of this sticking of ideas on people is what is so terrible. It always feels like the opposite of what is actually going on and can’t have come from interviewing real people and actually hearing them

would it happen for other conditions that it is acceptable that they would say eg I push through and at the time feel really happy with myself for doing it then two days later am unable to wake up so I didn’t make the connection and some horrible person instead has this attitude of not listening to their words but treating them like a deluded person to be talked about as if this isn’t real insight into their condition- because it’s the disgusting part of how we’ve been approached and why we’ve got nowhere with understanding of the condition moving firward

EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  15. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. Also if symptoms are a result of the stress response, how come i feel massively better when stressed?

But instead from listening to people who are tired. And who feel more tired after exercise, because they dont understand what PEM actually is. Everyone feels fatigued the day or two after they exercise more than usual. They think thats what PEM is.

EzzieD, Sean, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  16. Blueskytoo

Blueskytoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, in my unscientific and totally subjective opinion of this “paper” (which is amazingly similar to the apparent level of understanding of ME by the author), what a complete, aromatically steaming heap of crap.

Edited for punctuation.

shak8, Lou B Lou, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  17. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's extremely Dunning-Kruger.

Lou B Lou, EzzieD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. bobbler

Bps beliefs - a functional brain aberration

I can’t believe the disgusting phrases these people think they can get away with pretending they aren’t designed to be bigoted and to incite insults

Lou B Lou likes this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Does belief in functional brain aberration predict having functional brain aberration?

bobbler likes this.
  20. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This author publishes a lot. He should consider publishing less, preferably nothing, since he is convinced of the wrong things and seems incapable of learning from feedback from people with lived experiences of the concepts that are only an abstraction to him.

EzzieD, shak8, Trish and 1 other person like this.