Postgraduate research job advert: Impaired selective attention as a cognitive and neurophysiological marker of ME/CFS, 2023, UK

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Department: School of Psychology and Vision Sciences

Application deadline: 31 July 2023

Start date: 1 October 2023

Overview
    Supervisors: Dr Doug Barrett (djkb1@le.ac.uk) & Dr David Souto (ds572@le.ac.uk)

Project Description:

Cognitive deficits are a pervasive and debilitating characteristic of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFE) [1]. Deficits in selective attention are considered a core symptom, with sufferers reporting visual overload, difficulties filtering relevant from irrelevant visual information, and fatigue during visual search [2,3]. Attentional and visual search deficits have also been empirically demonstrated [4]. Despite the prevalence of these symptoms, the exact nature of attentional deficits in ME/CFS remains unclear. This may reflect heterogeneity in the severity of attentional deficits, or a lack of sensitivity in standardised neuropsychological assessments to attentional control mechanisms involved in everyday visual tasks. Differentiating between these possibilities is important, because specifying the way ME/CFS impacts sensory and cognitive processes is fundamental to understanding the neurological bases of sufferers’ symptoms [5]. This studentship will focus on the visual search paradigm to investigate the contribution of bottom-up sensory and top-down, attentional processes [6] to symptoms reported by sufferers on a task that is central to functional vision. The project will use laboratory-based and online computer-based tasks to contrast behavioural and physiological (eye movements and EEG) measures of selective attention during search in individuals with, and without ME/CFE.

Objectives

1. To compare sensory thresholds in ME/CFS and neurotypical controls for targets differentiated from distractors by variation on a range of visual features (e.g., luminance)
    2. To compare behavioural, eye movement, and electrophysiological markers of top-down attention in ME/CFS and neurotypical controls during visual search.
    3. To develop an online test that is sensitive to specific markers of visual perception and attention in ME/CFS based on evidence from the laboratory-based tasks above.

https://le.ac.uk/study/research-degrees/funded-opportunities/pvs-barrett

2. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks quite useful. Wouldn’t really regard it as psychosomatic research.

Sean, alktipping, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  3. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I hope that they manage to recruit enough participants - and that they use appropriate criteria . . .

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The thread has been moved from that forum.

5. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to remember that Leicester University published a couple of interesting papers of visual issues in ME a few years ago.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

@chillier this work seems to link up with the stuff you’re doing if you’ve got any energy for it maybe worth emailing them to discuss from PWME perspective??

7. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a good thought! It does seem related and it's cool they're doing this kind of research, sounds like they're going about it in an objective way. Will be cool to see what methods they use.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They might not respond of course but may be worth trying

alktipping, chillier and Trish like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    alktipping and Trish like this.
  10. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is looking good, I hope it will teach us something. I also wonder if the mechanism of sensory issues in pwME is similar to autism.

Sid, obeat, alktipping and 2 others like this.