News in Brief - June 2024

Discussion in 'Weekly ME news in brief' started by S4ME News, Jun 9, 2024 at 10:01 AM.

1. S4ME News

S4ME News S4ME News Summaries Staff Member

This thread has a Science for ME 'News in Brief' post for each week in June 2024 by a team including @Trish, @Kalliope, @ahimsa and @SNT Gatchaman. Scroll down to see this week's news.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  2. S4ME News

S4ME News S4ME News Summaries Staff Member

Week beginning 3rd June 2024

News, advocacy and articles

UK #MEAction Questions to Ask Prospective MPs About ME/CFS
    A set of 6 questions on NICE compliant care, research and financial support.
    "By asking these questions, you can help ensure that prospective MPs are aware of the importance of addressing ME/CFS and are committed to making positive changes for those affected by this debilitating condition".
    Article | Thread

#MEAction has an online survey for people with ME/CFS or Long Covid who have PEM and have tried pacing to manage their symptoms. This survey is open to anyone 18 or older.
    Survey | Thread

The Guardian
    Life with long Covid - 'I could bench-press 100kg. Now, I can't walk': Lucy's life with long Covid
    This thorough article tells the story of Lucy Keighley and also presents a typical Long Covid patient story based on responses the Guardian has received from readers. Dr. Binita Kane is interviewed, draws parallels to ME and says: "Not only do we not treat it, we are taught the wrong things about it".
    Article l Thread

The Washington Post has published a group of letters to the editor on the topic of Long Covid. These letters are in response to several recent articles on Long Covid such as this one about Long Covid in communities of color.
    Letters | Thread

Research news

The Netherlands
    The Dutch research institution ZonMw has announced a new funding round for the ME/CFS research program which will start on 17 June 2024. The total available budget in this round is €2,500,000. A maximum of €500,000 per project can be applied for with a maximum duration of 4 years.
    Article | Thread

Aotearoa New Zealand ANZMES Research Grant
    The application period is now open, through to July 31st 2024. This year two grants valued up to $25,000 and four $5,000 scholarships are available.
    Announcement | Thread

UniteToFight 2024 Videos are starting to become available of the Long Covid and ME/CFS conference held online on 15th and 16th May 2024.
    YouTube | Thread

National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
    A new report on the long term health effects of COVID-19 has been published which includes "conclusions about Long COVID diagnosis, symptoms, and impact on daily function."
    Press Release | Report | Thread

NIH has published a message from NINDS Director Dr. Walter Koroshetz, Advancing Research on ME/CFS. It discusses the ME/CFS Research Roadmap and the recent NIH Intramural Study on ME/CFS.
    Article | Thread

Coming events

USA: National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
    Report Release Webinar: A Long COVID Definition
    Tuesday, June 11, 2024
    1:00 - 2:00 PM Eastern Time. See thread for time in your time zone.
    Webinar | Thread

Research

ME/CFS research

Journal of Translational Medicine
    Systematic review of fatigue severity in ME/CFS patients: insights from randomized controlled trials - Park et al.
    Among 60 randomized controlled trials, the overall fatigue severity of the 7,088 participants with ME/CFS was 77.9 out of 100.
    Article | Thread

Cogent Public Health
    The most severely ill patients with ME/CFS in Denmark - Peter la Cour
    This study is based on qualitative data from 19 home visits to severely ill patients and concludes: "... the most severely ill patients with ME/CFS and their caregivers must be characterised as a systematically neglected patient group not comparable to any other similarly ill group."
    Paper l Thread

Long Covid research

The National Academies Press
    Long-Term Health Effects of COVID-19: Disability and Function Following SARS-CoV-2 Infection — National Academies of Sciences
    "Complex, infection-associated chronic conditions affecting multiple body systems are not new, and Long COVID shares many features with such conditions as [ME/CFS], fibromyalgia, and [POTS]. Current theories about the pathophysiology of these conditions include immune dysregulation, neurological disturbances, cardiovascular damage, gastrointestinal dysfunction, metabolic issues, and mitochondrial dysfunction."
    Article | Thread

JAMA Internal Medicine
    Nirmatrelvir-Ritonavir and Symptoms in Adults With Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection: The STOP-PASC Randomized Clinical Trial — Linda N. Geng et al.
    "The results of this randomized clinical trial showed that a 15-day course of NMV/r in a population of patients with PASC was generally safe but did not demonstrate a significant benefit for improving select PASC symptoms in a mostly vaccinated cohort with protracted symptom duration."
    Article | Thread

Preprint: MedRxiv
    Conceptual framework of episodic disability in the context of Long COVID: Findings from a community-engaged international qualitative study — Kelly K. O’Brien et al.
    "A notable feature of episodic disability in the context of Long COVID in this study was PESE or PEM which transcended physical, cognitive and mental-emotional dimensions, highlighting the ability of the framework to encompass critical features of disability experienced in the context of Long COVID."
    Article | Thread

Nature International Journal of Impotence Research
    Comparing risk of post infection erectile dysfunction following SARS Coronavirus 2 stratified by acute and long COVID, hospitalization status, and vasopressor administration: a U.S. large claims database analysis — Grutman et al.
    "We found that patients with long COVID are at a higher risk of being diagnosed with ED than patients with only acute COVID, while there was no significantly increased risk for patients with more severe infection requiring hospitalization or vasopressors."
    Article | Thread

Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health
    A Holistic Analysis of Symptom Profiles among People with Long COVID-19 in India: A Prospective 1-Year Follow-Up Study — Amin et al.
    "Out of 350 [hospitalised] participants, 148 respondents (42.3%) recovered after 1 year of illness and 202 (57.7%) were still experiencing symptoms at the time of survey completion."
    Article | Thread

Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
    Whole blood transcriptome in long-COVID patients reveals association with lung function and immune response — Jelle M. Blankestijn et al.
    "In this study we clustered the transcriptome of long-COVID patients into two distinct clusters and showed differences in innate and adaptive immune activation and pulmonary function between those clusters."
    Article | Thread

Journal of Infection
    Early use of oral antiviral drugs and the risk of post COVID-19 syndrome: a systematic review and network meta-analysis — Juan Jiang et al.
    "Nine observational studies containing 866,066 patients were included, in which nirmatrelvir-ritonavir and molnupiravir were evaluated in eight and two studies respectively, with both drugs evaluated in one study. Pair-wise meta-analysis showed that early oral antiviral drugs reduced PCC risk (RR 0.77, 95% CI 0.68–0.88)."
    Article | Thread

Journal of primary care & community health
    Pro Inflammatory Cytokines Profiles of Patients With Long COVID Differ Between Variant Epochs — Ganesh R et al.
    "When stratified by variant epoch, patients with early epoch Long COVID had persistently elevated peripheral pro-inflammatory cytokine levels when compared to later epoch Long COVID. Patients with Long COVID have similar clusters of symptoms across epochs, suggesting that the underlying pathology is independent of the peripheral cytokine signature."
    Article | Thread

PLOS ONE
    Plasma taurine level is linked to symptom burden and clinical outcomes in post-COVID condition — Mobin Khoramjoo et al.
    Hospitalised patients. "Increase in taurine levels during the transition to convalescence were associated with a reduction in adverse events independent of comorbidities and acute COVID-19 severity."
    Article | Thread

IDCases
    Circulating microaggregates as biomarkers for the Post‐COVID syndrome — Hermann et al.
    "We report on a patient suffering from fatigue, post exertional malaise, pain and neurological symptoms as a consequence of the second CoVID infection. Using live confocal microscopy on native whole blood samples we detected microaggregates of thrombocytes, leukocytes and plasma proteins in peripheral blood."
    Article | Thread

Cureus
    Growth Differentiation Factor-15 Is Considered a Predictive Biomarker of Long COVID in Non-hospitalized Patients — Rie Ono et al.
    Study with very small numbers. "Elevated serum GDF-15 levels in the acute phase of COVID-19 may act as a predictive biomarker with the onset of long COVID"
    Article | Thread

Preprint: MedRxiv
    Persistent symptoms and clinical findings in adults with post-acute sequelae of COVID-19/post-COVID-19 syndrome in the second year after acute infection: population-based, nested case-control study — Raphael S. Peter et al.
    "This nested population-based case-control study demonstrates that the majority of PCS cases do not recover in the second year of their illness, with patterns of reported symptoms remaining essentially similar, nonspecific and dominated by fatigue, exercise intolerance and cognitive complaints."
    Article | Thread

S4ME social media: Forum, Facebook, Twitter, Mastodon and YouTube

Ash, ahimsa, cfsandmore and 7 others like this.