Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS): A critical assessment, Olshanksy, 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jun 22, 2024.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Although diagnostic criteria have been developed characterizing postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), no single set of criteria is universally accepted. Furthermore, there are gaps in the present criteria used to identify individuals who have this condition. The reproducibility of the physiological findings, the relationship of symptoms to physiological findings, the presence of symptoms alone without any physiological findings and the response to various interventions confuse rather than clarify this condition. As many disease entities can be confused with POTS, it becomes critical to identify what this syndrome is. What appears to be POTS may be an underlying condition that requires specific therapy. POTS is not simply orthostatic intolerance and symptoms or intermittent orthostatic tachycardia but the syndrome needs to be characterized over time and with reproducibility. Here we address critical issues regarding the pathophysiology and diagnosis of POTS in an attempt to arrive at a rational approach to categorize the syndrome with the hope that it may help both better identify individuals and better understand approaches to therapy.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32222376/

Mij, Peter Trewhitt and ahimsa like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some quotes from the article:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recall a van Campen & Visser ME/CFS study where the rate of POTS decreased with illness duration.

So people could see themselves as having POTS even when they no longer satisfy the criteria.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    alktipping, Yann04 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Narrative Review of POTS: Associated Conditions and Management Strategies

Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome Subtypes and Associated Disorders
    [​IMG]

LINK

ahimsa, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.