Prediction of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in mothers of children with cancer based on empathy and experienced guilt, Afsari et al, 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by John Mac, Dec 7, 2020.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Definitely not a recommendation:
    http://www.ceciranj.ir/article_109277.html?lang=en

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Here's my reaction after reading the abstract.

How dare they abuse the trust of mothers of sick children with this junk.
    They are not diagnosing CFS, they are diagnosing understandable exhaustion with the multiply flawed Chalder questionnaire, and playing their nasty psychological games with the turmoil of emotions suffered by parents of sick children. As if they haven't suffered enough.

Tia, Lisa108, Shinygleamy and 23 others like this.
  3. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

O.M.G. FFS.

4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a very irritating article, but it's in a journal published by the Iranian Council for Exceptionl (sic) Children. Just saying.

5. Trish

I hadn't noticed where its published. That damned Chalder questionnaire gets everywhere.

6. Tara Green

Tara Green Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's compassion fatigue. Nothing like CFS and it doesn't come with PEM, sore throats, and everything else.

7. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman, Louie41 and Trish like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great example of why hard sciences still need a bit of humanities to the curriculum. Science without humanity is... well... this. It's grotesque. There are limits to professional detachment. This is far beyond it, into mindless psychopathy.

9. Trish

This isn't hard science, it's social science in its worst form. And the social sciences are supposed to be all about humanity.

Andy, Sean, Louie41 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If only they could step into people's shoes they might actually learn something...

It really is time to draw significant attention to the limitations of the Chalder fatigue scale- for so many applications.

11. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

@dave30th, you got farther than me. I could find no publisher and no contact address for this journal, and the Iranian Council for Exceptional Children doesn't seem to exist if Google is to be believed (maybe I needed to search in Arabic?). The journal seems to be based out of Iran, many of the papers are authored by the editorial board members themselves, who are mainly at the University of Tehran.

It doesn't seem to be widely indexed (its not in Pubmed, for example).