Preprint: Decolonisation of Staphylococcus Aureus and therapeutic test to assist the diagnosis in ME/CFS, Long Covid..., 2023, Chang et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DECOLONIZATION OF STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS AND THERAPEUTIC TEST TO ASSIST THE DIAGNOSIS IN ME/CFS, LONG COVID, POST-VACCINE COVID SYNDROME AND OTHER DISEASES WITH FATIGUE AND/OR CHRONIC PAIN.

Preprint

Chang, Figueredo

Abstract

There is a Subgroup of patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Long COVID Syndrome or PACS who present a persistent bacterial infection that affects the upper respiratory tract, and especially at the level of the nostrils. We estimate that this Subgroup of patients presenting this persistent infection as a causal or contributing factor would be around a third of all cases. The most frequent causative agent of these persistent and/or recurrent infections is the Staphylococcus aureus bacterium. According to the studies carried out, this bacterium is present in the nasal passages of between 16 and 36% of the general population, who are carriers of Staphylococcus aureus, and are often unaware of it. Among medical care personnel, the percentage of carriers can reach around 40%. ...

https://www.researchgate.net/public...THER_DISEASES_WITH_FATIGUE_ANDOR_CHRONIC_PAIN

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2023
    DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an opinion piece. The authors believe that staphylococcus aureus plays a role in about a third of ME/CFS cases but do not report any data that supports this.

3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)