Pressure Therapy

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Sly Saint, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://physiohealinghands.com/pressure-therapy/

UK based physiotherapy company.
    Is there any evidence for this treatment?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

By googling, the nearest I could find was this:
    Lymphoedema compression therapy
    Compression therapy provides graduated, even pressure, which won't constrict your limb. It will be carefully chosen, with you, by your lymphoedema therapist.

It also talks about compression garments to be worn at home.

Maybe they latched on to ME/CFS because some people with POTS/OI find compression garments helpful. Or maybe it's related to the quack Perrin Technique which involves massage for lymphatic drainage. Or maybe they just made it up to attract people who are desperate enough to try anything.

alktipping likes this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No.

In fact once oedema has formed massage doesn't seem to do much. We tried 'Flowtron' massaging devices in the 1980s but they did little. Once oedema has formed the water has collected amongst the connective tissue fibres and it seems that you cannot really 'push' it into the lymphatics. The lymphatics themselves may have no problem with flow of what water gets in to them. This field is very poorly understood and very badly described in physiology books.

What does seem to work is putting on compression stockings before the leg swells up during the day. I do this when going on aeroplanes and it stops most of the swelling very nicely. Once oedema has formed it may take days to clear but if it is got rid of by putting on stockings every morning it may stay away for long periods as long as stockings are used for high risk periods like car or plane journeys or very hot days.

This therapy looks to be a another quack version of Perrin.

bobbler, alktipping, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a lot of talk about that on the Long Covid subreddit in the first 1-2 years.

Haven't seen anything about it in at least a year. A patient community made mostly of people with no medical training is able to move on from useless treatments. And yet some professionals can carry on making a business out of it. The difference is what's at stake. To the patients, useless treatments are useless. To shady professionals, useless treatments can be a gold mine. Very different stakes.

alktipping and Trish like this.