Prevalence and risk factors of dry eye in 79,866 participants of the population-based Lifelines cohort study in the Netherlands, 2020, Vehof et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, May 8, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1542012420300690
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting.

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is one of those studies which only looks at numbers so tells us nothing. Dry eyes are a symptom just like fatigue or cough, it is such a wide category it tells us nothing.

Dry eyes were seen as just a problem that women had after the menopause so no one cared very much. In a similar way to ME, the patients would complain about things like pain but there was nothing to see on medical examination so they were dismissed as exaggerating and neurotic.

Things changed when younger people began having serious problems with dry eye after lasik surgery which is very lucrative. Money was put into research to stop the operation going out of fashion.

In a very different way from the situation with ME, the researchers and medics listened to patient groups and there have been vast strides in the field. Dry eye is not referred to as occular surface disease and taken seriously. Of, course it is not ideal, the usual charlatans, but strides have been made in the biology of the eye though treatments are not so simple as the processes are incredibly complex - one reason I feel FND is childish in its thinking.

This paper looks awfully superficial compared to the things i have been reading.

alktipping, Grigor, rvallee and 2 others like this.