Primary care providers' use of and attitudes towards placebos: An exploratory focus group study with US physicians, 2020, Bernstein et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 31, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjhp.12429
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1111/bjhp.12429

Sean, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems too that even if a good placebo effect is achieved for the patient -- because it is a placebo the effects will not be long lasting. So then what?

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    EzzieD, Legend, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a reason placebo is the control for nothing in formal trials: it is nothing. It's a measurement error that occurs only about things that can't be measured. Whenever anything is measured it disappears, because that's all it is, an imprecision from being unable to formally measure something, amplified by biased questionnaires.

One day placebos will be seen as archaic and obsolete, a dumb primitive error of magical thinking that could have been avoided entirely had the scientific method and basic common sense been applied. That day can't come soon enough.

Meanwhile there's the alternative medicine industry providing the same. Not only is it useless, it is redundant. Grandfathered debunked myths used in practice so late in the modern age is just systemic failure. I applaud those who reject it as disrespectful, it 100% is. More of this, please. Less of those who think it has value, because the only value it has is in allowing for laziness and dereliction of duty. Exactly zero of that, please.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Any doctor who uses placebo on me without my informed consent will be sacked the instant I find out about it, and a formal complaint made to the relevant medical licencing body (for what that is worth).

It is a lazy, arrogant, corrupt, and cruel abuse of medical authority.