Rare link between coronavirus vaccines and Long Covid–like illness starts to gain acceptance.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Binkie4, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have some reports of adverse responses to covid vaccines on the vaccines and vaccine experiences threads but I think it's time for the topic to have its own thread.

https://www.science.org/content/art...gADt-7mDxzuBJDSL5fpfsAw9FP29Kppq5MMZO7bGEh2M4

Quote:

COVID-19 vaccines have saved millions of lives, and the world is gearing up for a new round of boosters. But like all vaccines, those targeting the coronavirus can cause side effects in some people, including rare cases of abnormal blood clotting and heart inflammation. Another apparent complication, a debilitating suite of symptoms that resembles Long Covid, has been more elusive, its link to vaccination unclear and its diagnostic features ill-defined. But in recent months, what some call Long Vax has gained wider acceptance among doctors and scientists, and some are now working to better understand and treat its symptoms.

“You see one or two patients and you wonder if it’s a coincidence,” says Anne Louise Oaklander, a neurologist and researcher at Harvard Medical School. “But by the time you’ve seen 10, 20,” she continues, trailing off. “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.”

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2023
    livinglighter, Dolphin, shak8 and 9 others like this.
  2. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

ME/CFS News
    @MECFSNews

A protest by #MECFS, #LongCovid and #postvac patients in Germany in front of the building of the federal parliament.

An interesting alliance between 3 groups forming in Germany which includes post vaccination patients. Germany seems ahead of UK in attempting treatments for post vaccine injury, legal action on behalf of post vaccine patients and now protests by patients

edit: press square above for photo and short video clip of wheelchairs in front of federal parliament

ME/CFS News
    @MECFSNews

·
    11h

Replying to
    @MECFSNews
    The cause is the continued indifferene and inaction by the government towards these patient groups (apologies for not going further into details at the moment).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
    shak8, ukxmrv and Trish like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cannot see that that has any justification. If almost everyone has been vaccinated then what is the reason to link symptoms to the vaccine?

I have not read through everything in the article but from reading most of it it just seems that there are a few medical people with a hunch. Considering the hype around vaccination in the past that was inevitable and I think best ignored until there is some actual evidence. The piece says that so far the evidence from surveillance is negative.

Wits_End, shak8, CRG and 2 others like this.
  4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have another appointment at Moorfields Eye hifoutal this month. After the AZ vaccine I developed new symptoms including what was diagnosed as migraine. It lasted solidly for 6 months and then became episodic. I have another separate problem with light striking my eyes which started straight after the vaccine. Plus more.

Binkie4, RedFox, mango and 2 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm keeping an open mind on this.

I hear the stories of some people on the forum like @ukxmrv and of course I believe what happened to you and am very sorry to hear that your severe suffering was dismissed by doctors for a long time. Whether the symptoms were caused by the vaccine or not, they still should have been properly investigated and you should have been provided with whatever symptom relieving treatment was available.

Some also clearly had anaphylactic or other immediate severe reactions to the vaccine and needed emergency treatment. Whether they then went on to suffer ongoing symptoms I don't know.

Some are saying, quite correctly, that there was a lot of covid-19 around at the time of vaccinations and in many situations there wasn't good provision of effective masks and ventillation at vaccination centers, on transport used to get to vaccination centres, in shops, workplaces etc, so it's possible some cases of sickness attributed to the vaccine were actually cases of infection whose onset coincided with vaccination.

Whatever the initiating trigger to long term illness, whether it's one vaccine or another, or Long Covid triggered by Sars-Cov-2, people need to be believed and to get decent care.

6. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    RedFox, Binkie4 and Trish like this.