Redefining Disease: Are Bacteria and Viruses Behind Child Psychiatric Conditions?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://bnn.network/breaking-news/h...-viruses-behind-child-psychiatric-conditions/

Ash, bobbler, duncan and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like a paradigm from the 1960s.
    Whether t has any value or not I don't know, but not much of a shift.

Ash, alktipping and FMMM1 like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mostly, and speculatively: yes, very likely so for the most part. Medicine's continued dismissal of the full implications of the germ theory of disease is a tragedy on a massive scale, worsened by having chosen literal fairy tales over simple truths. COVID has blown the whole biopsychosocial scam wide open, but it will take years to accept it, then work on it, and right at the point where AI is about to take over much of medicine means that it's likely machines that will make the shift, and embarrass stubborn humans in the process.

But the continued framing of pacing as this "on a budget approach" where as long as you're careful everything will be alright and manageable is really problematic and simply not based on reality. Neither is the framing that CBT is something that helps here, it's so trivial and it's only kept there to placate the fanatics who insist that it is a cure since the real problem is... whatever the hell it is they happen to believe instead of reality.

Hutan, bobbler, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Hadn’t heard of BNN so I looked at about us https://bnn.network/about/. Still not much the wiser to be honest other than it was started by one guy Gurbaksh Chahal.

the article is at least NICE compliant with the wording in the final paragraph

Hutan, Sean, duncan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen a number of articles recently about actually looking for biological causes for mental disorders, so there seems to be some movement. There must be some researchers who are exasperated with psycho-BS and want to counter that with quantitative science.

Ash, Sean, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  6. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea, surely researchers must be looking at things like GWAS [DecodeME]. Potentially GWAS in psychiatric conditions won't easily find key genes/pathways i.e. since the characteristics of the illness relate to multiple pathologies/multiple routes to the same outcome [psychiatric illness]. But that problem (heterogeneity) was addresses in dementia i.e. by running several large [compatible] GWAS and combining the data.

Sean, bobbler and alktipping like this.
  7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had in mind brain scans correlating disorders with specific patterns in parts of the brain, and levels of specific chemicals in parts of the brain. If they develop those sorts of diagnostic techniques enough, then you can get a quantitative diagnosis rather than a psychiatrist's "educated judgement" (and we are well aware of the failures of psychiatric education and knowledge), and treatments can be judged quantitatively.

alktipping and FMMM1 like this.