Reduced drift rate: a biomarker of impaired information processing in functional movement disorders, 2019, Edwards et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://academic.oup.com/brain/advance-article/doi/10.1093/brain/awz387/5684838

spinoza577, MEMarge and Barry like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The experiment performed lacks a sick control group (it does not say they were sick so I assume they were healthy). Comparison with other patients with similar illnesses could invalidate the idea that these findings are specific for functional neurological disorders or that functional neurological disorders have a common cause.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Just like that.

Move attention from the unresolved is this classification (and its implied causation) correct?, to the definitive instructions on how to deal with it.

Problem solved!

:grumpy:

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And the how to deal with it part is therapy with indoctrination likely to lead to response bias in uncontrolled clinical trials that are then cited as evidence the whole thing is correct.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Cheshire, alktipping, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My friends with MS talk about the cognitive problems as being one of the worst symptoms (after fatigue!).

Umm, I did not read the paper but how did they measure "the temporal discrimination threshold" if someone has a movement disorder it will take them much longer to react to anything as reaction times are measured using movements.

The fact I automatically consider that they did not take that into account shows how bad I have found their research to be.

rvallee likes this.