Relationship between adverse childhood experiences and illness anxiety in irritable bowel syndrome – The impact of gender, 2019, Berens et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a recommendation.
    Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399919305136

2. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see what useful information researchers could hope to get out of these sorts of studies on childhood trauma.

We already don't want children to be raped, beaten, or otherwise abused, or have their parents killed, or any there horrible thing, so there's not much point in looking at it from an angle about IBS or any other illness.

Even if you establish a convincing correlation (and it certainly could be true) - it doesn't tell you anything about what to do since there's no reason to think some sort of psychoanalytical therapy or any other psychotherapy is of any use. Or maybe it's more accurate to say there's good reason to think they're of no use.

So about the best you can get out of it is a deepened appreciation of the tragedy of the human condition, but you can get that for free in myriad ways.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't that the point? They don't want it for free. They want to be seen to be doing something for which they can be paid.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I strongly suspect, based on my personal experience, that getting a diagnosis of absolutely anything is harder for females than it is for males. As a result, every interaction with the medical profession becomes fraught with anxiety. The things that go through my head...

1) Will I get a diagnosis that can be treated and which, now being known, will improve my quality of life (if it gets treated)? Answer : Almost certainly No.
    2) In the unlikely event that I get a physical diagnosis will it be recorded accurately in my medical records? Answer : Almost certainly No.
    3) In the event that I am assumed to be "making it up" will it be recorded in my medical records? Answer : Almost certainly Yes.
    2) Will they believe me this time? Answer : Almost certainly No, particularly if the condition and/or symptoms I am describing are invisible.
    3) Will they insult me and dismiss what I have to say as hypochondria, but disguise what they think with fake smiles? Answer : Almost certainly yes.
    4) Will I have to face condescension and patronising as usual? Answer : Almost certainly Yes.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a ridiculous waste. The whole BPS is a pointless misuse of resources.

6. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately so.

But I think it's significant that cursory examination of the question reveals that it cannot generate any useful information. At least with PACE, etc. you can theoretically get a useful answer to the basic question - which they accidentally did.

With that in mind I think it's also worth adding that these studies are dredging up people's traumatic memories for the sport of it, which is plainly ghoulish. Additionally, by definition it leads to adverse effects in respondents who are traumatized by past experiences, because they are prompted to revisit these experiences when they otherwise would not; furthermore, doing so plausibly leads to negative consequences beyond emotional suffering in the moment.

Frankly they are trying to use people's traumatic experiences as data to tell a certain story about 'functional' illnesses, or illnesses in general, with callous disregard to the actual traumatic nature of these experiences.

This type of study should be rejected by IRBs as unethical by default.

rainy, rvallee, 2kidswithME and 8 others like this.