Review Research Insights to Long-COVID (also ME/CFS), 2023, Werner

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free fulltext:
    https://urfpublishers.com/open-access/research-insights-to-long-covid.pdf

Journal
    Journal of Advanced Biomedical Engineering

Publication date
    2023-07-20

Keywords
    Long-COVID, post-acute Covid-19 syndrome, post-infectious syndromes, chronic fatigue syndrome, brain fog, immunoadsorption, autoimmunity, endothelial dysfunction, mitochondrial dysfunction, clinical trials

Authors
    Werner CG, Sittner W, Wagner FD

Abstract
    When 2019 the world community was unexpectedly overrun by a new coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2, the acute symptom-oriented treatment of the patients concerned as well as the containment of the virus-spread were in the foreground of activities. The underlying mechanism(s) of the diverse organ infestations was unclear and is still subject of research today. The first emerging virus variant was very aggressive and caused organ failure resulting in deaths, too many deaths.

Three years later, we are facing a multifaceted population that has been completely or partially vaccinated, experienced the illness one or more times or never had contact with the virus. Apparently the clinic copes with the acute symptoms of the infection today, the currently circulating virus variants seem to be more harmless. However, the initial concern that infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus may lead to sustained or recurrent multi-organ symptoms and even failures is becoming more and more evident. Many patients experience extended COVID-19 symptomatology over weeks to months that is called post-acute COVID-19 syndrome or more commonly as Long-COVID.

There is currently no approved drug for the treatment of Long-COVID: The research for Long-COVID treatments has started mostly with small pilot studies, observations or case reports, mainly using marketed products to improve clinical symptoms of Long-COVID that are common in similar conditions such as the post-infectious myalgic-encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). However, more targeted interventions for Long-COVID based on evidence in controlled clinical trials are urgently required.

In this Review we discuss the current knowledge on Long-COVID. We describe how the pharmaceutical industry, medical device companies as well as academic research are now increasing their efforts to gain knowledge of risk factors and pathogenic triggers of Long-COVID with the scope to develop efficient and safe medicines to prevent and /or treat this burdensome disease.

Hutan, RedFox and EndME like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of the Charité Research Organisation before. According to their website the "Charité Research Organisation is a Contract Research Organisation focused on helping its clients move development projects from First Time In Human to Proof of Concept as quickly and efficiently as possible. Based in Berlin, at the very heart of Europe, CRO was founded in collaboration with Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin."

They also wrote the protocol to the new IA trial of Burock/Prüß/Scheibenbogen. This paper seems self-funded which certainly at least requires some interest in the topic. Let's hope that there'll be sufficient interest and funding towards the private sector for them to stay interested in Long-Covid and ME/CFS.

Trish likes this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Carmen Scheibenbogen has been running an ME/CFS clinic at the Charite for quite some time and has published research papers. She's well known as the leading German ME/CFS researcher. If you do a search on the forum you'll find lots of research threads.

They also ran a conference a few months ago:
    International ME/CFS Conference of the Charité Fatigue Center on 11./12. May 2023 in Berlin, supported by the ME/CFS Research Foundation

alktipping and Hutan like this.
  4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh yes. I'm more than aware of Carmen Scheibenbogen, the CFC and also the work of Prüß, both at the Charité. However, I'd never heard of the "Charité Research Organisation" before which is a private organisation, and collaborates with the Charité University and Hospital.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ah, OK, sorry, I missed your point.

alktipping and EndME like this.