Research progress on central mechanism of acupuncture treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome, 2023, Li et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hutan, Sep 18, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Abstract
    Chronic fatigue syndrome is a neurological disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that lasts for a long time and doesn't alleviate with rest. The number of the cases has been increasing during the era of COVID-19 pandemic. Acupuncture may have some effect on chronic fatigue syndrome, but its mechanism remains unclear. This article was to summarize the specific manifestations of abnormal central mechanism in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome through laboratory tests and neuroimaging.

It was found from the laboratory evaluation that there were changes in the structure of the frontal cortex, thalamus and other brain tissues; factors, including IFN-α and IL-10 in cerebrospinal fluid were found abnormal; results of oxidative and nitrosative stress and changes in neurobiochemical substances, e.g. hypothalamus hormone levels and neurotransmitter concentrations, were observed. With magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography, it was shown that the partial brain of persons with chronic fatigue syndrome had morphological changes with diminished grey matter and white; changes in cerebral blood flow velocity caused by decreased perfusion and functional activity with abnormal connectivity in brain were detected. In addition, there was significant decrease in glucose metabolism accompanied with neuroinflammatory response; metabolic disorders of serotonergic, cholinergic, glutamatergic and γ-aminobutyric acid energy neurotransmitters were also discovered.

The regulatory effect of acupuncture on the above central neurological abnormalities in chronic fatigue syndrome model animals was elaborated, and the direction for further research was analyzed in order to provide ideas for further research on the central mechanism of acupuncture treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ment, acupuncture,of its effect and mechanism.
    World Journal of Acupuncture and Moxibustion

forestglip likes this.
  2. Hutan

It looks as though they have collected up a range of poorly evidenced statements about biological characteristics of ME/CFS. And assumed that rodent torture (e.g. repeated swimming to exhaustion) creates a model of chronic fatigue syndrome. And then believed dubious impacts of acupuncture on these poor animals. And then extrapolated that to people with ME/CFS.

MeSci, EzzieD, Wyva and 5 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Reference 9 is Bateman L., Bested A.C., Bonilla H.F., Chheda B.V., Chu L., Curtin J.M., et al. Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: essentials of diagnosis and management. Mayo Clin Proc.
    Which is a problem.

No references. Unfortunately, the NICE
    Chronic pain (primary and secondary) in over 16s: assessment of all chronic pain and management of chronic primary pain guideline recommends acupuncture. Which is also a problem.
    The NICE guideline for the pharmacological management of neuropathic pain does not - and it is that pain guideline that is linked from the ME/CFS guideline.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024
    Wyva, Wonko, Trish and 2 others like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Made my (FM+) pain worse. When touch is painful, a needle is, too.

EzzieD, Wyva, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  5. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here. I tried acupuncture years ago out of desperation when a couple of friends enthused about it being great for all their ailments. I found it hideously painful, plus it exacerbated all my symptoms.

voner, shak8, forestglip and 4 others like this.