Researchers with ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by forestglip, Feb 21, 2024.

1. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know if there are researchers, policymakers, or other prominent folks that personally have/had ME/CFS, and are also pushing the psychosomatic theories of CFS?

DokaGirl, Kitty, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Some who say they had ME/CFS and recovered like Parker and Landmark and Gupta have done or are doing really awful research on their versions (Lightning Process) of BPS nonsense which they claim cured them.

DokaGirl, Sean, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I guess there's Paul Garner too, who got Long Covid and has since signed a range of BPS papers.

DokaGirl, Sean, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  4. forestglip

forestglip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/01/25/paul-garner-on-his-recovery-from-long-covid/
    Oh wow. I'm almost certain this was a spontaneous recovery unrelated to the happy thoughts.

It sounds a lot like some experiences in my own life. There have been times of severe depression/anxiety ebbing and flowing in my life. At times, I'd start some new mental habit that seems like it'd be helpful, stuff like "focus on the sounds around you as much as possible because it's something easy to focus on, and if you're focusing on that, you can't be focusing on anxiety". And I'd start feeling better and better.

Only later did I realize it was the other way around. I was actually slowly feeling better for some other reason, which gave me the motivation to try some mental health habits. I reversed the causality by mistake. And I was sure of it when the next times I'd fall into a depression, my miracle habits didn't work.

DokaGirl, Sean, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Far be it for me to speculate on whether Paul Garner actually did fully recover. But I do note that, soon after his much publicised recovery, he resigned his role as Professor at a school of medicine, and retired.

DokaGirl, Sean, Kitty and 8 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Marhalhud, DokaGirl, Sean and 14 others like this.