Resources about the history of M.E./CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by Baseit, Apr 10, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Baseit

Baseit Established Member

Are there any books or blog series particularly worth reading/videos or podcasts worth watching or listening to about the history of M.E./CFS? I've already read Osler's Web and Science, Politics and M.E. and am waiting on The Why: The Historic ME/CFS Call To Arms to arrive. I'm making my way through the Science library and Resources subforums and other threads across the site, but if there's any resources that dive into it deeply I'd like to read them.

DokaGirl, Hutan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are the David Tuller ‘Trial by Error’ pieces on the Virology Blog, more specifically his initial work on the PACE trial, though he addresses specific issues rather than give an overview, and Joanne Hunt’s explorations of the BPS high jacking of ME as Chronic Fatigue some of which is included on her Blog Healthcare Hubris.

It should be possible to find links by searching for the authors’ names in thread titles here.

[added - https://www.healthcarehubris.com/ ]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Baseit, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  3. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Baseit, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  4. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jennie Spotila's blog Occupy ME has a lot of U.S. history. She is writing a memoir so hasn't kept up with things more recently like she has in the past. The blog goes back to February 2012.

https://occupyme.net/

ahimsa, Baseit, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

On the UK situation there are the writings of Margaret Williams, and the article Magical Medicine. I'm sorry I don't have links to hand but someone else probably does.

Baseit, MEMarge, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Baseit, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also have a lot of respect for the work of Ellen Goudsmit a Health Psychologist, who was very active in advocacy & with the charities 15-20yrs ago ish.

i seem to remember she wrote a good paper on historical bias towards psychologisation of ME in the BMJ & the LAncet, & she was part of the group that developed the (original not alterered by PACE authors) London Criteria.

You might find her stuff useful.

Ellen Goudsmit - MEpedia (me-pedia.org)

Also @Valerie Eliot Smith has written some interesting stuff, although (as with the Margaret Williams stuff) i dont always 100% endorse what she says/her approach, shes worked incredibly hard on advocacy over the yrs. For example

The Poisoned Well: a history of ME in 20 tweets | valerieeliotsmith

With history of ME literature etc its important to remember that there are always some disagreements about accuracy. People who were there at the time, as with any events tend to remember things differently at times (like witness accounts to anything),

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if you click on the 'history' tag you will find loads of threads on the various publications.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. Baseit

Baseit Established Member

Thanks for the links everyone, I'll go through them.