Review: Assessment and management of post‐COVID fatigue, 2021, Gaber

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wyva, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Assessment and management of post‐COVID fatigue

It starts alright but then comes up with BPS and CBT and maladaptive behaviours. Is it only me or has the BPS school intensified their efforts to go after post-covid in the past week or so? o_O

https://wchh.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/pnp.698

Simon M, Mithriel, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel it starts out poorly by mentioning ME/CFS and PEM. These articles continue to undermine ME, and bunch it up with post fatigue states.

"Post‐exertional malaise is an extremely common feature and it is often associated with other immunological manifestations such as persistent sore throat or lymphadenopathy".

DokaGirl, Daisymay and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

"Psychological distress during the acute and subacute phase of the viral infection is another strong risk factor for long‐term fatigue.9 "

Ok, cool, let's check out what Jason, Katz, Shiraishi, et al in "Predictors of Post‐Infectious Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Adolescents" have to say about this.

From the abstract: "A number of variables were predictors of post-infectious CFS at six months; however, when autonomic symptoms were used as a control variable, only days spent in bed since mono was a significant predictor. Step-wise logistic regression findings indicated that baseline autonomic symptoms as well as days spent in bed since mono, which reflect the severity of illness, were the only significant predictors of those who met CFS criteria at six months."

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but I already lost all interest in reading the rest. I guess one could make the argument that controlling for ANS symptoms is like controlling Mount Everest for height and saying it's warm up there, but I still think citing it this way doesn't bode well for the rest of the paper.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021