Royal College of Anaesthetists and ME Association: leaflet on ME/CFS Implications for Anaesthesia

Discussion in 'Resources' started by SNT Gatchaman, Feb 10, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the ME Association ā€”

The ME Association and patients with ME/CFS have been working with the College to produce a patient information leaflet that is being launched this afternoon in a talk by Professor Anton Krige and Dr Charles Shepherd: ME/CFS Implications for Anaesthesia. We hope this ongoing work with the College will raise awareness and understanding of ME/CFS among anaesthetists and help people with the condition when they need surgery in hospital.

This resource aims to provide people with ME/CFS who need to have an anaesthetic or sedation with information about what they might expect at the different stages of the surgical journey, and what they can do to prepare, in collaboration with their healthcare teams.

It has been produced in collaboration with people with ME/CFS who have shared their experiences of having an anaesthetic with us. Their input has helped us identify the most common questions and concerns that people with ME/CFS may have about having surgery.

ME Association Announcement | Download Leaflet

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Ash, John Mac, Kitty and 18 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It looks like a helpful resource, very comprehensive and empowering. Quite a number of points there that I would not have thought about. Things like, if you are taking LDN, you need to tell the doctors about that, as it could affect your response to pain medication.

In my limited experience, anaesthesiologists are very good at listening to patient concerns and taking them seriously. Perhaps there's a culture in the speciality of realising that if they don't listen carefully, they can kill people?

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Adverse consequences from anaesthesia gone wrong are usually immediate and definite. There is a clear causal and dose-response relationship.

Ash, alktipping, obeat and 6 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Iā€™d like to see them take this approach with whatever professional body exists for palliative care

Ash, alktipping, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its great, very helpful i just wish a guide for the anaesthetists themselves could be produced alongside it. I'd like something i could give to the Dr - written by doctors, for doctors, rather than for patients.

Why does the patient have to continually be the one to explain and justify their condition and needs.

I'm all for taking responsibility for my own health, but i find, particularly with people like us, it is weighted far too far in our direction. It shouldnt be up to me to educate my anaesthetist.

Ash, Hutan, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ash, Hutan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I looked at it this morning expecting to find something I could give an anaesthetist, and was therefore disappointed. It's very good for its intended purpose, but I hope there's a much shorter version for anaesthetists in preparation that we can give them when needed.

Ash, Colette, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes i think it would be fantastic to have a shortened version that would be appropriate for just handing to the anaesthetist.

The other issue s that when PwME are in hospital they simply may not be capable of having the level of discussion/communication with anaesthetists/teams, that would be required. And many of us dont have a relative to speak for us either.
    As someone who is facing possible surgery I can atest to this being a major issue.

Ash, Colette, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There's this website, which provides summaries about a range of anaesthetic related issues for doctors and student doctors. I've given the link to a page about MS. It would be great to see a good page on ME/CFS on the website - it would be a good place to link to, I think.

https://www.openanesthesia.org/keywords/multiple-sclerosis/?search_term=multiple sclerosis

10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Kiwipom in case you wish to comment.