Seasonal Effects on Gene Expression, 2015, Anita Goldinger et al.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Amw66, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2021
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Abstract

Many health conditions, ranging from psychiatric disorders to cardiovascular disease, display notable seasonal variation in severity and onset.

In order to understand the molecular processes underlying this phenomenon, we have examined seasonal variation in the transcriptome of 606 healthy individuals.

We show that 74 transcripts associated with a 12-month seasonal cycle were enriched for processes involved in DNA repair and binding. An additional 94 transcripts demonstrated significant seasonal variability that was largely influenced by blood cell count levels. These transcripts were enriched for immune function, protein production, and specific cellular markers for lymphocytes. Accordingly, cell counts for erythrocytes, platelets, neutrophils, monocytes, and CD19 cells demonstrated significant association with a 12-month seasonal cycle.

These results demonstrate that seasonal variation is an important environmental regulator of gene expression and blood cell composition. Notable changes in leukocyte counts and genes involved in immune function indicate that immune cell physiology varies throughout the year in healthy individuals.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4449160/?s=09

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the 70s when I was a biology student there was a lot being written about the effects of light and temperature on biological processes.

The idea of a body clock had become a common part of scientific thought but the other aspects feel neglected. I wonder if it just makes things too complicated. A simple example is that potatoes move glucose about during the day so the carbohydrate content varies depending on what time of day they were picked. You don't see that on the vegetable counter of ASDA.

One experiment that stuck with me was Russian and US scientists did a similar study of some plants but got opposite results. In one of those cooperative political stunts the US people were allowed to travel to se the Russians where they got the same result as them. The difference was in the biology at different latitudes.

It makes you wonder how many atypical diseases are due to differences in these things.

alktipping, shak8, Mij and 3 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My seasonal effect disorder is worse starting mid summer. The constant sunshine and heat gives me anxiety and I need darkness. I start feeling better during the colder winter months.