Short-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy for Functional Somatic Disorders: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials, 2020, Abbass et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 21, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/507738
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1159/000507738

Simbindi and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Limitations of this meta-analysis include small samples of studies and possible publication bias.

No methodological shortcomings in those studies?

alktipping, rvallee, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fixed it for the authors.

Sean, alktipping, Cheshire and 2 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Something is only really cheap if it both costs less and is effective. If it is ineffective it is a waste of the money spent on it, and therefore expensive.

Sean, alktipping, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study: is my pet topic of interest useful?

Results: here's a bunch of cherry-picked arguments for why my pet topic of interest may be useful and why money should be allocated to it

Totally normal that the reaction to the crisis of replicability is basically to just keep lowering the bar and basically giving up on whether any of it is useful, other than to promote a few mediocre careers at the expense of wasting millions of human lives.

Plus, not a single controlled trial in this. Just stop. Words have meaning. Use those words with their intended meaning or go away. And I mean the editors here, who the hell approves of this? All just a bunch of cheap psychological experiments that use the style of science with none of the substance. Enough of this mindless crap.

alktipping, Snowdrop and Arnie Pye like this.