Sleep Loss Can Cause Death through Accumulation of Reactive Oxygen Species in the Gut, 2020, Vaccaro et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In fly and mouse models.
    Paywall, https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30555-9.pdf
    Unable to access via Sci hub

Article on the study, and the history of experiments in sleep deprivation (not recommended if you dislike animal experimentation), https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-sleep-deprivation-kills-20200604/

2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

What I'm reading is "continue to eat fruit, veggies and dark chocolate". I can live with that :) I wonder if it has to do with oxidative stress also causing impairment of the epithelial barrier in the gut, will read at a later point.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The poor guy who died from fatal familial insomnia was thought to have MS at first. He had neurological degeneration. Not sure how that goes with this.

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sleep is a complex phenomenon. Its regulated by at least two different places in the brain. One of the things it does is allow increased antioxidant activity in the brain. I have had drug induced brutal insomnia, with only sleeping six minutes at a time, maximum, from I think a calcium channel blocker, lercanidipine. Severe lack of sleep has long been known to be fatal. Its also used as torture and in brainwashing. Sleep is not a passive process, you don't let go though it can be perceived that way, it has to be induced by complex orchestrations of signalling molecules. If those are disrupted, for any reason and there might be many, then sleep will be very difficult.

Old rat studies show sleep deprivation leads to immune failure and death by infection. Its consistent with the study in the first post. It takes weeks though, with zero sleep.

I would argue that accumulated ROS in the brain may be even more important in humans. Antioxidants that can circulate in the blood or cross the blood-brain barrier are probably more important than those that cannot. ROS will eventually make it to the gut. Antioxidants in the gut may get to the bloodstream or brain. Its complicated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Invisible Woman and Sean like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Invisible Woman likes this.
  6. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#JustSayInFlies?

Eeew.

MEMarge likes this.
  7. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Increased ROS in the gut can impair the gut barrier, I wonder if increased ROS in the blood can do so with the blood/brain barrier, then stuff that's not supposed to get into the brain could cause additional problems.

alex3619 likes this.