Somatic symptom disorder: a major but underestimated psychiatric disorder. (Rosmalen et al.)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Grigor, Oct 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

L.M. Tak, M. Chrispijn, J.G.M. Rosmalen.

There's no abstract so I thought I'd quote this beautiful part in the text:

"A somatic symptom disorder (DSM-5) can be classified if there is one or more persistent physical complaints (ALK) that the person concerned suffers from or that disrupt daily life to a significant extent and excessive thoughts, feelings or behaviors are associated with these physical symptoms. complaints."

Professor Judith Rosmalen is studying long-COVID and ME. The focus is on biomedical research. Psychiatrists Lineke Tak will be part of the ME guidelines commity. What could go wrong...

https://www.tijdschriftvoorpsychiat...ote-maar-onderschatte-psychiatrische-stoornis

MeSci, Sean, Comet and 8 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's nauseating how these people claim to have the desire to help people with (what they see as) mental disorders and yet act with disrespect towards the patients with them. Presumably their thought process is that they see themselves as morally good solely for being involved in the field of mental health, and view this as a sort of currency with which to afford a little bit of misconduct and selfishness, especially when it involves unenlightened patients that resist the mental health approach out of stigma because there could not possibly be any other reason.

Colonization was good for the colonized, right? :rolleyes: (sarcasm)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    RedFox, Sean, duncan and 4 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The absolute weirdest part of this is that the ideologues behind this ridiculous concept reject the validity of the patients' illnesses because they are the patients' subjective experience, but in response to this they invent an entire category of subjective illness where they are the subject, rather than the patient, making it subjective twice over, with no possibility of validating anything.

Because the determination of excessive thoughts, feelings and behaviors is entirely out of their own subjective experience of the patient's experience. Entirely out of an appeal to their own authority, a logical fallacy, on top of many other errors of thinking. And not falsifiable, making it unscientific. And unethical in so many ways.

One of the most morbid yet fascinating look into delusional thinking and abuse of power. If only psychiatrists had the ability to self-reflect on their own behavior. Now that would be something.

Solstice, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Excessive thoughts feelings and behaviours
    As perceived by people of an ablist mentality

alktipping, rvallee, Grigor and 4 others like this.