Special Population: COVID-Associated Chronic Conditions, 2023, Baratta et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Sly Saint, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

paywalled

Abstract
    The COVID-19 pandemic will be largest disabling event in the United States since the polio epidemic. A substantial portion of COVID-19 survivors will develop lingering symptoms or health effects, a syndrome commonly termed Post-COVID Condition (PCC) or Long COVID. Post-COVID effects can be variable, although the most common issues include fatigue, shortness of breath, cognitive concerns, and pain. While the causes of this syndrome are not fully understood, considerable improvements to patients’ conditions can be made through various symptomatic management approaches. Recent focus on PCC is shedding light on post-infectious chronic illnesses and will hopefully lead to new understanding and care for this and related conditions.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-031-29171-5_29

RedFox, Sean, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A chapter in Chronic Illness Care
    Looking at the references, which aren't behind the paywall, it looks fairly promising.
    References include:
    I didn't see any references from people I recognise as promoting BPS ideas, and there are 92 references. So, I think we can take this as a win. It is quite something, the connection with ME/CFS and orthostatic intolerance appears to be recognised, but I didn't see a single reference specifically on CBT and GET.

It looks to have a very wide scope - not just Long Covid. Perhaps the references to tai chi, yoga and singing therapy do have a place in, for example, cardiac or lung damage rehabilitation.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023