Stanford University: Partnering with the Public and Patients in Medical Research (free online course)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/course-v1:Medicine+MedxPPStrategy+Winter2019/about

MEMarge, BeautifulDay, inox and 14 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm working through this at the moment, and thought this might be of interest to people here, it includes Fiona Godlee declaring how important it is to include the patients point of view in research.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8xiNtp8Hw

Trish, MEMarge, BeautifulDay and 4 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Transcript of Fiona Godlee's bit

Trish, MEMarge, BeautifulDay and 2 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So, I've just discovered that I've wasted my time on this course. I started with good intentions and completed the minimal requirements that were required on week one. Fell behind with things due to a crash and discovered that each course 'week' has a strict deadline to complete everything by, as I missed the deadline, I can't progress the course, and checking their FAQ they don't offer extensions. Quite ironic for a course that is about partnering patients, apparently they only want patients whose illness doesn't hamper them in working on the course.

andypants, MEMarge, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've had a similar experience with some other free online courses run by Universities all over the world through the Coursera and EdX platforms.

If you didn't do the assignments on time, they were no longer available on some courses, on others you could work at your own speed. The problem with some of them is that they have a system of students marking each others work which means everyone has to stick to the same timetable.

Ones with multiple choice tests tended to be more flexible, though if you wanted to get the end of course certificate you had to do it on time.

It would probably be worth giving them some feedback on your experience.

andypants, MEMarge, rvallee and 5 others like this.