Trial Report Successful treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome using hydrogen gas: four case reports, 2023, Hirano

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Ash, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There isn't an abstract, but I think this paragraph serves the purpose:

Molecular hydrogen (H2) is a gaseous molecule that selectively scavenges reactive oxygen and nitrogen species with strong oxidizing power, namely, hydroxyl radicals (·OH) and peroxynitrite, respectively.[11,12] H2 easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and biological membranes, reaches mitochondria, and protects cells from ·OH-induced cell damage.[11,12] A recent literature review revealed that H2 attenuated acute or chronic fatigue in animals and healthy subjects.[13] We also reported that the anti-fatigue effects of H2 involved the protection of mitochondria, which may also ameliorate the pathogenesis of ME/CFS.[13] Therefore, we conducted this case study to test this hypothesis by examining the efficacy of H2 gas inhalation in four patients with ME/CFS.

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rather strange that the paper writes: "Ethical approval was waived for this study because it is not a research study."

Also: some of the authors are from MiZ Company Limited, 'a pioneer in research on medical of hydrogen'.

EndME, Michelle, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  4. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Okay well that’s certainly taken the edge off of my enthusiasm @ME/CFS Skeptic, but I can’t deny at this point I still want some.

AndroidEeyore and leokitten like this.
  5. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What we all really need is some laughing gas

shak8 and Michelle like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)