Sugar or Fat?—Metabolic Requirements for Immunity to Viral Infections, 2017, Shehata et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thought this review article might be of interest to some.
    Open access at https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2017.01311/full

ukxmrv, Hutan, ScottTriGuy and 6 others like this.
  2. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks very interesting, but will require a much clearer head & a little more time, to absorb than I have right now..

Hutan and Andy like this.
  3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For more, Stress Response to Critical Illness has a lot on this sort of thing. Very interesting in the context of my own personal experience of ME.

4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too complex for my wee brain, but these jumped out at me coz I'm HIV+ and taking rapamycin for ME (every 3rd day coz I heard researcher Robert Santini say daily chronic use was not good, but suggested something like every 3rd day may be best. I felt better when I was taking it daily.)

Indeed, genome-wide screening using in vitro models of HIV latency has identified the mTOR complex as a critical modulator of HIV latency (93). Thus, a combined approach modulating HIV reservoir metabolic machinery with or without cellular activators (to reverse latency) to limit pro-inflammatory cytokine production and homeostatic proliferation represents a novel chain of thought in HIV cure research.

mTORC2 responds to growth factors and modulates cellular survival and cytoskeletal restructuring and is insensitive to acute rapamycin treatment, although chronic exposure can disrupt its molecular structure (41)

One concern about using mTOR and PI3Kinase as immunotherapies is fear of toxicity and undesirable effects.

andypants, ukxmrv and Andy like this.