Suggestions of good sources on the background to the ME saga, PACE, etc. up to the new NICE guideline

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by Haveyoutriedyoga, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread has been split from the NICE guideline discussion thread.

I have a friend interested in doing a PhD in knowledge mobilisation, (lack of) information transparency, power and (lack of) coproduction in the UK healthcare sector.

What is the best one stop shop that explains the ME saga, ie PACE, NICE guidelines dev, instances where people have tried to suppress knowledge and evidence, subversion, complaints about too much reliance on patient input, etc?

I know there are a number of blogs, I'm just not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2022
    ahimsa, Kitty, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think @Jonathan Edwards might still be writing it... :whistle:

Hutan, Missense, MSEsperanza and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

David Tuller's work on virology blog and elsewhere?

Dolphin, alktipping, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  4. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Dolphin, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see that there's interest in the topic.

Not sure if suppressing evidence is a major part of it though. I think it's more a distortion of evidence and knowledge and denigrating of patients' justified criticism. With The Lancet and the BMJ major medical journals contributed to this distortion of evidence and denigration of criticism, as did Cochrane.

Faulkner (see @Ebb Tide 's post above) I think is the best source to start for understanding the wider political influence.

Regarding the denigration of patients' criticism the discussion here is also relevant:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-i...-coffi-2018-katz-et-al.2013/page-2#post-36407

and following posts.

Brain-fogged so apologies if off-topic.

Will post some resources I find useful later.

Edited / wording.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  6. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While we're waiting for that and in addition to David Tuller's series on virology blog and George Faulkner's work, a couple of Jonathan Edwards' writings since 2017 are a good account, including submissions, e.g. to the Scottish Parliament if I remember correctly .

Wasn't there a website you started to set up a while ago, @Jonathan Edwards ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Colette

Colette Established Member

There is also Margaret Williams back catalogue http://www.margaretwilliams.me/
    This might be a good starting point http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2001/what-is-me-what-is-cfs.pdf
    or Corporate Collusion

9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're looking for something newly written and short, just to get the headlines of the story, George Monbiot's article was a pretty great summary:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...g-covid-when-will-ministers-take-it-seriously

10. Natalie

Natalie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Dolphin, J.G and 7 others like this.
  11. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks all, these are really useful, and thanks Trish for creating a post!

If I find the power to curate a summary for the friend in question then I'll share it here.

alktipping and Trish like this.