Survey: "TREAT ME" (ME/CFS & Long Covid Treatment Survey), by 'LongCovidPharmD'

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Andy, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the survey frontpage
    • This survey is intended for those with ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), Long COVID, and/or COVID vaccine injury.
    • The survey attempts to uncover the most promising medications, supplements and vitamins for treating these conditions.
    • The estimated time to complete this survey may be around 75 minutes, but it could be considerably shorter or slightly longer depending on how many of the surveyed treatments you've taken and how many optional questions you choose to answer.
    • You may stop & resume the survey whenever you wish. Survey Monkey stores a cookie in each respondent's web browser to save progress on a survey. As long as cookies are enabled and stored on your web browser, you may exit the survey at any time with no trouble, including shutting down your computer or restarting your phone. Please avoid using a private browser which will NOT save your answers.
    • Most browsers enable cookies by default, but if you want to double check, answer the first few questions, close your browser, and then return to the survey. If the answers are saved, you should be good to go!
    • Some questions are optional. A question is optional if there is no star * next to the question number.
    • I understand your time & energy are limited. ♥️ You will be notified when you've completed approximately 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 of the treatments. That way, you may track your progress and easily plan for any breaks needed.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TREATMEANDLC

The survey is the work of "LongCovidPharmD", https://twitter.com/organichemusic.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just been reading some of the recent posts on this person's twitter thread. Seems to be experimenting with a lot of different drugs and supplements for Long Covid in rapid succession which seems pretty silly, as there's not enough time to observe any long term effects for each treatment. And sharing it on Twitter so others are probably following and trying too.

Lou B Lou, Hutan, Wits_End and 9 others like this.
  3. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this is a person claiming professional standing: "Doctor of Pharmacy" but is pseudonymous and gives no evidence of their bona fides, while apparently encouraging wide ranging self medication unrelated to any clear differentiation of symptoms, caution of exclusionary diagnoses, or likely side effects ?

The pseudonymous account doesn't give details of their nationality so they may not be bound (if the are indeed a Dr of Pharmacy) by any professional body standards, however the UK Royal Pharmaceutical Society code of conduct is instructive:

• be in good standing professionally, including with the Society and any other professional body or regulator of which they are a member or registrant

• conduct themselves in a manner that upholds and enhances the reputation of the Society

• further the interests of and maintain the dignity and welfare of the Society and the profession

• exercise their professional skills and judgement to the best of their ability, discharge their professional responsibilities with integrity and do all in their power to ensure that their
    professional activities do not put the health and safety of others at risk

• when called upon to give a professional opinion, do so with objectivity and reliability

• be truthful and honest in dealings with clients, colleagues, other professionals and all they come into contact with in the course of their duties

• never engage in any activity that will impair the dignity, reputation or welfare of the Society,fellow members or their profession

• never knowingly engage in any corrupt or unethical practice

• not implicate the Society, through direct reference or use of membership status, in any statement that may be construed as defamatory, discriminatory, libellous, offensive,
    slanderous, subversive or otherwise damaging to the Society

• if convicted of a criminal or civil offence anywhere in the world inform the Society promptly, and provide such information concerning the conviction as the Institution may require. NBthis does not included Fixed Penalty Notice offences.

• observe the Policies of the Society

• comply with the Society’s Regulations and all applicable laws

--------------------------------------------------------

There are several of those provisions which the account holder might arguably be in breach of.

Lou B Lou, Hutan, Milo and 7 others like this.
  4. Trish

This is what she writes on Substack about herself. Still no professional ID or real name:
    https://pharmd.substack.com/p/introducation-from-longcovidpharmd

5. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gimmick to get more followers? I'm clueless about social media, but I get the impression that some people live for gaining more followers.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I only did the first few questions about ME/covid. Not the clearest & I couldn’t face trying to understand how to respond to multiple questions so abandoned.

I am not making this criticism to be awkward, I had experience in my job of commissioning quantitative and qualitative staff and customer surveys, I know what a good questionnaire looks like.

MEMarge, Hutan, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  7. Trish

I've just done the whole thing in one go, as my input was minimal. For most sections on treatments I simply ticked 'none of the above' and moved on. There were about half a dozen that I have taken, usually for some other reason, which I did include and answer questions about, but again, it was mostly to say they had no effect on my ME.

The number and range of treatments people are experimenting with is mind boggling.

One thing I've just realised was missing from the options for the effects of each treatment.
    The options were something like - positive, fairly positive, positive but side effects, no effect.
    There was no option for wholly negative effects. Surely not, have I remembered that correctly?

There was a chance to write a comment at the end. This is what I wrote:

MEMarge, Lou B Lou, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  8. Trish

Given that the person running this survey says she is a pharmacist, it's quite likely she works for a pharmacy or pharmaceutical company that sells these medicines. In which case there's a big conflict of interest in running a survey like this and it is effectively market research, especially if she's going to publish the results and use them for advertising. The more I think about this, the worse it seems. She needs to be more honest.

Lou B Lou, Wits_End, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Damn this thread is really devolving into conspiracies. Sometimes it's just someone doing work that isn't being done. This account has been running similar polls for a while, never pushes for any particular medication, definitely does not recommend a particular drug or brand of drug other than highlighting survey results.

I have seen nothing but someone asking the patient community out there to figure out what they use and what works. This is basically how it's done when official, except it's not even happening. If IRB approval is what you demand of this, yikes. We've seen what gets officially approved, and it sucks giant balls.

Whether those surveys are any useful is up to debate, but by the standards of most research in chronic illness it's definitely above average, and that's an indictment of the average. The range and variety of treatments people are using is only a natural reflection of systemic neglect leaving people in despair, medicine is responsible for this by their negligence. When the experts are refusing to do their job, people don't quit experimenting. Might as well get some information out of it while most experts aren't even trying.

Chezboo, Hutan, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  10. Trish

You are probably right that this is a well intentioned attempt to collect information. I don't think I'm suggesting conspiracies. Just putting my concerns about the role of a professional pharmacist in publicising anecdotal data in a way that may encourage unwise experimentation. She's already publishing some early results on twitter.

Hutan, ahimsa, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  11. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She says she is a Doctor of Pharmacy and tweets are not medical advice (but she is not likely to be a medical doctor as one would state your fellowship/highest qualification etc) so I don’t think that is very professional….but that is Twitter…

I wonder if she has degree in the profession of pharmacy and then gone on to do her PHD (so research into therapeutics, medications, the pharmaceutical industry, anything I suppose). Google image search negative, not a surprise.

12. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not appealing to conspiracy to ask that a professional abide by the standards set by their fellow professionals, as set out above, notably:

"exercise their professional skills and judgement to the best of their ability, discharge their professional responsibilities with integrity and do all in their power to ensure that their
    professional activities do not put the health and safety of others at risk"

Making a claim of professional standing when publishing anything is adding authority, in this case to the results of polls which are merely an argumentum ad populum . At the very minimum anyone claiming authority which may impact the health and safety of others should do so without the cover of anonymity and with a clear statement of their bona fides if those bona fides aren't readily available for public view e.g medical register.

The remedy in this particular case is that the account holder either remove the claim of qualification or add a verifiable real world identity. That wont change the nonsense of appeal to numbers but would either remove unwarranted authority or provide transparency.

alktipping, Hutan, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  13. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME is a vast experiment in treatments--each of us trying whatever catches our attention, plus all those foods, ingredients, and other possible treatments (electric pulses, various magical items, grounding, etc)--yet we still don't have any reported treatment that works reliably for a significant number of people. Is the survey limited to commercial products or treatments based on theories about what causes symptoms? My best successes have been from accidental discoveries that I still have no supporting theory for.

Even if the survey was done professionally, I think the results would have little effect on the number of people actually helped by trying the treatments with more positive numbers.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"#TREATME Update: 1. Over 3,600 responses! 2. This Tuesday I zoom with experts involved in complex chronic illness research & machine learning to review survey & discuss plans for analysis! 3. Due to requests, I'm keeping the survey open an extra two days thru Tuesday."

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  15. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there still no idea who this is? I guess it’s too much for us to ask what experts will be on this zoom

ahimsa, bobbler, Wyva and 2 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged
    New Approaches to Understanding and Treating Long Covid and ME/CFS (expresshealthcaremgmt.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2023
  17. Trish

The above short article uses as its source a much longer article on Undark.
    From a Grassroots Survey to Long Covid Treatment Trials
    It includes this from Lucinda Bateman:

ahimsa, MEMarge, Simon M and 4 others like this.
  18. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is relieving to hear Dr Bateman’s sensible criticism of this survey, especially as she is and has been a principal investigator of many studies on ME/CFS and long Covid.

ahimsa, Wyva, Lou B Lou and 7 others like this.
  19. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is a very helpful approach, given that it aims a starting point rather than provide definitive

Also, it would be interesting to see the comparison between survey results for different proposed treatments. It’s likely that the biases would be similar when the same person is conducting the same survey, presumably reaching the same network each time

So if one treatment appears much more successful than another, despite having similar biases, that becomes particularly interested.

of course, the same is true of surveys of ME and psychosocial treatments.

Again, the fact that graded exercise comes out so much worse than CBT is interesting, and I think tells us something. Likewise, the comparison between both graded exercise and CBT with pacing.

But the actual success/harm rates of different treatments can’t be accurately gauged from such surveys.

Equally, they can’t be gauged from the service run by fatigue clinics, given that only a minority of patients participate, and even that sample is biased in its selection.

FMMM1, alktipping, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  20. Trish

Having watched some of the discussion around this pharmacist's efforts to collect information on Twitter, I share Lucinda Bateman's doubts about its usefulness in finding treatments worth researching.

It was noticeable how much people on Twitter were egging each other on to try the latest fad, and many of them were trying large numbers of different supplements, herbs, drugs, mind/body stuff and physical treatments all overlapping or together. It seemed quite common for people to post long lists of everything they were trying with more added each week. There's no way among all that they can tell what if anything is helping.

It may be a bit useful if nobody claims any benefit from a specific treatment that a large number have tried, or if significant numbers say they got sicker while taking it. Then that might be a useful indication not to waste money trialling that treatment. But I don't think the reverse is valid, especially if it's a treatment profitable for proponents, like LP etc., or some particular patented concoction. They would ensure they push their supporters to participate in the survey to skew the result.

I think large surveys about help or harm from treatments that are administered by health services on the other hand can provide valuable information of the potential for that treatment to cause harm, which is what has been shown for GET.

EndME, Wits_End, alktipping and 4 others like this.