SWS And Daytime Functioning in Chronic FatiguE Syndrome (SAFFE), Nutt & co

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study was funded by the UK Medical Research Council.

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT02055898

Study Description

Brief Summary:
    The investigators wish to investigate whether enhancement of SWS, which is seen after a drug called sodium oxybate, reduces the impact of sleep disruption in CFS on daytime function, specifically sleepiness and mental performance. This is a safe and well-tolerated drug that is licensed for excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) and cataplexy associated with narcolepsy.

The investigators will study 12 patients diagnosed with CFS using international diagnostic guidelines. The investigators will record overnight sleep with EEG (brainwave) measurement on the 1st and 4th nights of a 4 night period during which sodium oxybate and placebo will be taken nightly, and the investigators will measure next-day sleepiness, mental performance and fatigue, and compare drug and placebo nights.

Condition or disease Intervention/treatment Phase
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Drug: Sodium Oxybate
    Other: placebo (fresh potable water)
    Phase 4

Detailed Description:
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), characterised by chronic disabling fatigue, sleep impairment and other symptoms, is associated with neither a currently identifiable disease process nor major psychiatric illness, and has an estimated prevalence in primary care of 1-2%. Sleep impairment is common in nearly everyone with CFS, with both daytime sleepiness and unrefreshing nighttime sleep reported, and consequent impact on daytime function. It may be that fundamental regulatory processes that control sleep are disturbed in CFS, leading to different effects on sleep and daytime symptoms depending on the subject's prior sleep, daytime routine, medication and other factors. The investigators contacts with patient groups have indicated that patients are generally confident that on days when their sleep is better they perform better in the day. There is growing evidence that deep, slow wave sleep (SWS) is altered in CFS, and this may suggest impairment of build up of sleep pressure during the day.

MEMarge, merylg, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, merylg, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand why this study was done. It seems to be based on the assumption that fatigue is the same as daytime sleepiness.

JemPD, oldtimer, Art Vandelay and 2 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

InitialConditions and MEMarge like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The fundamental problem with this study appears to me that it assumes that improved daytime funcytoning is caused by improved sleep, or vice versa. My 42 years experience have led me to believe that, although there may be a correlation ,both are caused by something else.

JemPD, Art Vandelay, oldtimer and 6 others like this.