Trial Report Symptom-based survey diagnoses may serve to identify more homogenous sub-groups of fatigue and postviral diseases, 2024, Wold

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jun 27, 2024 at 5:39 PM.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2024.2370209

Research Article
    Symptom-based survey diagnoses may serve to identify more homogenous sub-groups of fatigue and postviral diseases
    Bjørn K. Getz Wold
    K. Tveito
    A. Angelsen
    G. Bringsli
    F. Berglund
    M. Gustavsen
    G. M. Andersen
    and E. B. Strand

Received 08 Dec 2023, Accepted 14 Jun 2024, Published online: 26 Jun 2024
    ABSTRACT
    Background and objective
    A range of diagnostic criteria are applied for the heterogenous patient group with fatigue or postviral fatigue syndromes with or without Post Exertional Malaise (PEM). We explored whether DePaul Symptom Questionnaires (DSQ) based symptoms reported in an open online survey called MECOV, served to identify more homogenous sub-groups.

Method
    Patients living in Norway were invited to participate in an open online survey in 2022. The questionnaire covered diagnostic history, SARS-CoV-2, general health, RAND-36 and DSQ symptoms, treatments and background information.

Results
    2362 patients responded to the survey. 1904 respondents had Fatigue or Postviral disease. 1026 fulfilled CCC criteria with multi-dimensional PEM and 14 h recovery period or ICC criteria for ME. 384 fulfilled IOM/NICE or CCC criteria with only less rigid PEM, while 494 respondents fulfilled only broad fatigue and Fukuda criteria. Self-reported health status, number of treatments tried, and reported effect of activity-based treatments varied significantly across the three groups.

Conclusion
    DSQ symptom-based survey diagnoses served to identify more homogenous subgroups of patients with Fatigue or Postviral diseases (ME and CFS) and may serve as a valid supplement to standard medical examinations. Symptoms, treatment, management strategies and further research may gain from being tailored to the three sub-groups.

KEYWORDS:

Simon M, EndME, Deanne NZ and 2 others like this.