Trial Report Targeting the overexpressed mitochondrial protein VDAC1 in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease..., 2022, Verma et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by boolybooly, Jun 10, 2023.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://translationalneurodegeneration.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40035-022-00329-7

Interesting in light of the mitochondrial aspects of ME. As I understand it, VBIT-4 is basically a mitochondrial pore formation blocker, which reduces apoptosis because mitochondrial pore formation is a key step in apoptosis (aka cell death).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2023
    RedFox, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My thoughts are ...

A mouse model based on excess VDAC1 production is not quite the same as human Alzheimer's and the VDAC1 antagonist VBIT-4 is bound to put that right and represents a cure for the mouse model, not necessarily human Alzheimer's.

Secondly apoptosis evolved for a reason, to remove infected or dysfunctional cells and any therapy which blocks it will have corresponding side effects i.e. increased latent infection and possibly reduced immunological removal of precancerous cells.