Tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA)

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Hoopoe, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TUDCA is a hydrophilic bile acid that is produced in the liver. It is used for the treatment of chronic cholestatic liver diseases and for gallstone. TUDCA is orally bioavailable and blood–brain barrier permeable. Bile salts, including TUDCA, play a role in intestinal homeostasis by controlling the size and the composition of the intestinal microbiota. Clinical studies performed on patients with different medical conditions over the last years unanimously report that the chronic administration of hydrophilic bile acids is safe and well-tolerated. It has been shown that TUDCA has neuroprotective effects in a variety of models of different neurodegenerative diseases.

Summarized from: Tauroursodeoxycholic acid in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: The TUDCA-ALS trial protocol

TUDCA was used in a study of chronic fatigue and ME/CFS: WASF3 disrupts mitochondrial respiration and may mediate exercise intolerance in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

There was a small clinical trial of TUDCA for multiple sclerosis which found a limited benefit on some outcomes: Trial of Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid Supplementation in Patients with Progressive MS

There was a clinical trial of TUDCA + sodium phenylbutyrate for ALS which showed a beneficial effect. A subsequent analysis found TUDCA on its own was effective.

To me all this suggests it might be treatment with some effect on ME/CFS.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Tauroursodeoxycholic acid: a potential therapeutic tool in neurodegenerative diseases, 2022 ( a review)
    Looks as though there are a number of human trials of TUDCA in neurodegenerative diseases underway.

3. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As probably being one of the first patients that have used TUDCA for ME/CFS and having researched and identified about ER Stress being an important research target ( https://algogenomics.blogspot.com/2017/08/dili-viruses-and-er-stress.html ), some comments :

-I do not believe that ER Stress management alone will bring benefit to most patients (my hypothesis)
    -We have to also improve oxidative stress -probably on a personalised level- and make sure that any underlying conditions are managed (my hypothesis)
    -TUDCA is considered one of the most effective hepatoprotective substances
    -If you consider taking TUCDA, make sure that you choose a good brand. Unfortunately, TUDCA is an expensive supplement.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    Jacob Richter, Trish, EzzieD and 3 others like this.