Testosterone for women? Ten things you need to know

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Jul 26, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The women's health campaigner Kate Muir believes the hormone should be more widely prescribed. She explains the benefits

Testosterone for menopausal women has been all over the news recently as “prescriptions soar” but in fact only a tiny number — about 8,000 out of the 13 million women of menopausal age in the UK — are prescribed testosterone as part of NHS hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Should it be more?

Women and doctors are waking up to the fact that testosterone has a positive effect on our health — not just in terms of libido, but much more. A panel of experts from international menopause societies has called for more clinical trials on testosterone’s effect on osteoporosis, muscle and brain health in older women. Here’s why this neglected hormone might play a key role in longevity.

-it can improve sex drive
    -it can protect against urinary tract infections
    -testosterone may help prevent osteoporosis
    -low testosterone levels double the risk of heart disease
    -memory may be boosted
    -testosterone may increase resistance to Alzheimer's Disease
    -in middle age, muscle declines- testosterone maintains it

So here’s hoping, with such promising leads, that more large trials will be done on the health benefits of testosterone. A century of gender bias in medicine has left women in the dark about their own hormones, and it’s time we demanded more knowledge.

LINK

2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bonus: adds more facial hair.

And makes you feel like one of the guys. (I tried it.)

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't want the physique of a body builder because I would have a difficult time telling doctors I have M.E.at 62yrs of age.

AliceLily, Wyva, Trish and 1 other person like this.