Thesis The association between pain catastrophizing and chronic fatigue in the general population: the HUNT pain study, 2023, Schjetne

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Dolphin, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://ntnuopen.ntnu.no/ntnu-xmlui/handle/11250/3080846

View/Open
    no.ntnu:inspera:146716340:26766723.pdf (6.760Mb)
    URI
    https://hdl.handle.net/11250/3080846
    Date
    Metadata
    Show full item record
    Collections

The association between pain catastrophizing and chronic fatigue in the general population: the HUNT pain study
    Schjetne, Julie
    Master thesis

Abstract

Introduction: Fatigue and pain are common complaints in the community and may have many of the same underlying mechanisms. Pain catastrophizing is a predictor of adverse pain-related outcomes, but the relation to fatigue is not fully investigated. The aim of this study is to firstly investigate the association between pain catastrophizing and feeling of energy in the general population and the second aim is to see if pain catastrophizing is related to the occurrence of chronic fatigue.

Method: In the population-based HUNT pain study, a random sample of 6419 participants were invited to answer questions about how much energy they had during the last week, using the SF-8 vitality scale, every three months over a year. Multiple linear regression and logistic regression analyses were used to investigate the association between pain catastrophizing and individuals’ tendency to report energy over one year, and the association with chronic fatigue, respectively. Chronic fatigue was defined as a mean score of less than 2 which indicates reports of a little energy or less most of the time.

Results: The current sample (n=3965) consisted of individuals answering about the required variables and possible confounders. A significant association was found between pain catastrophizing and energy levels of the general population even after controlling for age, sex, organ-specific diseases, mental health, and pain intensity (β=0.04, 95% CI: 0.03-0.05). In the general population, 10% was defined as having chronic fatigue and odds increasing by 1.2 (95% CI: 1.1-1.3) for every unit increase in pain catastrophizing.

Conclusion: This study indicates that there is an association between pain catastrophizing and energy levels, and the association is even more apparent with chronic fatigue. According to models explaining fatigue and pain, pain catastrophizing may strengthen an imbalance of costs versus benefits in goal-directed behaviour. Moreover, it is proposed that fatigue can be included in the vicious circle described by the fear-avoidance model as a consequence of catastrophizing and maintaining pain.

Publisher
    NTNU

---

Introduksjon: Utmattelse og smerte er utbredte plager i samfunnet og kan ha mange av de samme underliggende mekanismene. Verstefallstenkning om smerte er en prediktor for negative smerterelaterte konsekvenser, men sammenhengen med utmattelse er ikke fullstendig undersøkt. Det første formålet med studien er å undersøke sammenhengen mellom verstefallstekning om smerte og følelsen av overskudd i den generelle befolkningen, og det andre formålet er å se om verstefallstenkning om smerte er relatert til forekomsten av kronisk utmattelse.

Metode: I den populasjonsbaserte studien smerte-HUNT ble et tilfeldig utvalg på 6419 deltagere invitert til å svare på spørsmål om hvor mye overskudd de hadde siste uken, ved bruk av SF-8 vitalitetsskala, hver tredje måned over ett år. Multiple lineære og logiske regresjonsanalyser ble brukt for å undersøke henholdsvis sammenhengen mellom verstefallstenkning og personers tendens til å rapportere overskudd over ett år, og assosiasjonen med kronisk utmattelse. Kronisk utmattelse ble definert som en gjennomsnittsscore på mindre enn 2 som indikerer rapportering av litt overskudd eller mindre over tid.

Resultater: Utvalget i studien (n=3965) bestod av personer som hadde svart på de nødvendige variablene og mulige konfundere. Det ble funnet en signifikant sammenheng mellom verstefallstenkning om smerte og overskudd i den generelle befolkningen, selv etter å ha kontrollert for alder, kjønn, organspesifikke sykdommer, mental helse og smerteintensitet (β=0.04, 95% CI: 0.03-0.05). I den generelle befolkningen ble 10% definert som å ha kronisk utmattelse og odds økende med 1.2 (95% CI: 1.1-1.3) for hver enhet økning i verstefallstenkning om smerte.

Konklusjon: Denne studien indikerer at det er en sammenheng mellom verstefallstekning om smerte og overskudd, og sammenhengen er enda mer tydelig med kronisk utmattelse. Ifølge forklaringsmodeller for utmattelse og smerte kan verstefalltenkning om smerte mulig forsterke ubalansen mellom kostnader og nytte i målrettet adferd. Det foreslåes at utmattelse kan inkluderes i den onde sirkelen beskrevet i frykt-unngåelsesmodellen som en konsekvens av verstefallstenking og opprettholdelse av smerte.

inox, Hutan and Louie41 like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that the authors assume being in pain = pain catastrophizing.

They are not even looking at correlations (which don't imply causation anyway) they are looking at associations.

Being in pain is exhausting, so no wonder it causes fatigue.

I've thought many times that the people doing this type of research have never been in more pain than would occur after stubbing your toe on a pillow.

EzzieD, Michelle, inox and 9 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't believe that some Master's degrees can be gotten this easily. It degrades the value for everyone who actually had to put some effort into it. Pain catastrophizing is completely subjective to a 3rd party, has zero value and is nothing but a moral judgment of other people's behavior.

EzzieD, Michelle, inox and 12 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Master’s thesis in Clinical Health Science - Pain and Palliative Care Supervisor: Tormod Landmark
    May 2023
    Norwegian University of Science and Technology

Tormod Landmark - is there some relationship with Live Landmark?

I know this is a Masters thesis, and English is a second language, and we should be kind, but this is really awful. The supervisor should be ashamed.

There are obvious reasons why people who are poor and doing manual work might be exhausted and in pain, and why people with fatigue and pain might be poor. But so far, these aren't mentioned, while highly questionable theories are.

It seems the industrial revolution was responsible for fatigue being a thing - with workers no longer feeling in control of their work.
    Whereas pain has been around longer.

Of course Fukuda. No mention of PEM. BPS proponents seem to have no problems with people having both ME/CFS and depression.

I fail to see why someone who is working hard and getting little sleep has acute fatigue, but, when that same person has been experiencing that for 3 months, it suddenly morphs into something different, with a different aetiology and not amenable to resolution by resting. And a gradual debut for chronic fatigue? Surely all fatigue suddenly becomes chronic at the three month mark?

How does a debut after an infectious disease fit with a gradual debut?

I don't think that's how it works in ME/CFS. But sure, chronic pain might cause sleeplessness or make daily life more effortful. This thesis is such a muddle of things. A lot of problems come from assuming that ME/CFS is primarily just chronic fatigue that is not attributable to another cause.

Just, ugh.

The reason I started reading was I wanted to find out how they defined pain catastrophising in the study. But there was so many questionable statements. I've only got to section 1.4 and I've run out of enthusiasm for now. Perhaps it's fear avoidance, perhaps it is breakfast time.

EzzieD, Sean, shak8 and 7 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I notice how old most of the references are. And the idea that fatigue started with the industrial revolution is completely bizarre. Oh dear, and this sort of nonsense earns a Masters' degree?

Arnie Pye, EzzieD, Sean and 8 others like this.
  6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone who writes about pain catastrophizing deserves a cat ass trophy.

Arnie Pye, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  7. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Masters level work shouldn’t be published any more than undergraduate essays are. It’s a passport to doctoral research, not a purported contribution to human understanding, and of course it looks woefully threadbare to anyone with a longstanding interest in the subject at hand.

I would definitely agree that the supervisor deserves more blame than the author, but the institution and the publisher shouldn’t be doing this for anything dashed off by a callow youngster a year into postgraduate study, even on subjects which are less contentious. In a few years this poor sod will be trying to get a proper job somewhere, with theor youthful witterings - and online critiques - visible for all to see.

EzzieD, Sean, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  8. Shadrach Loom

* applauds *

Arnie Pye, Sean, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

In Norway it is common to have both bachelor and master level theses published at the university's own pages.

Funny that acute undernutrition and acute chronic fatigue has the same timeframe of three months. Though with undernutrition there seems to be a move away from this since the word "acute" together with "three months" just doesn't make much sense.

There is a relation between Tormod and Live @Hutan, but I can't remember what at the moment. @Kalliope ?

Sean, shak8, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  10. Shadrach Loom

Well, I hope there is an erasure provision under GDPR. If anything deserves to be forgotten, it is juvenilia.

11. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry. No idea..

12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I understand what you are saying, but I think I disagree. I've seen fine work done at the honours and Masters level. And, although papers are frequently published as a result of the research, the thesis often has a lot more detail and information than the paper.

Of course we should give young researchers some leeway and understanding, but what is written reflects what they have learned, what they think is acceptable and what they will take out into the world. More to the point, it reflects what the supervisor has allowed them to produce. Ignorant stuff like this amounts to hate speech and causes considerable harm. I think it's important to know which institutions and academics are facilitating this.

13. Shadrach Loom

That last point is definitely a solid public interest argument.

Midnattsol, Sean, shak8 and 4 others like this.