The Aversion Function of the Limbic Dopaminergic Neurons and Their Roles in Functional Neurological Disorders, 2021, He at al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The Freudian theory of conversion suggested that the major symptoms of functional neurological disorders (FNDs) are due to internal conflicts at motivation, especially at the sex drive or libido. FND patients might behave properly at rewarding situations, but they do not know how to behave at aversive situations. Sex drive is the major source of dopamine (DA) release in the limbic area; however, the neural mechanism involved in FND is not clear. Dopaminergic (DAergic) neurons have been shown to play a key role in processing motivation-related information. Recently, DAergic neurons are found to be involved in reward-related prediction error, as well as the prediction of aversive information. Therefore, it is suggested that DA might change the rewarding reactions to aversive reactions at internal conflicts of FND. So DAergic neurons in the limbic areas might induce two major motivational functions: reward and aversion at internal conflicts.

This article reviewed the recent advances on studies about DAergic neurons involved in aversive stimulus processing at internal conflicts and summarizes several neural pathways, including four limbic system brain regions, which are involved in the processing of aversion. Then the article discussed the vital function of these neural circuits in addictive behavior, depression treatment, and FNDs. In all, this review provided a prospect for future research on the aversion function of limbic system DA neurons and the therapy of FNDs.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcell.2021.713762/full

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

We appear to have gone back thirty years to ME being a disease of middle aged women with psychosexual problems!

My symptoms stop all the fun things I would like to do.

Now we can see the link they are trying to make with childhood sexual abuse; we are back to freudian unconscious conflicts over sex.

If they believed their patients they could simply ask if their symptoms were worse in aversive situations and better during reward ones.

Of course, they write in such a convoluted manner I may have missed the point completely.

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Following @Mithriel ’s line of discussion would this ‘model’ predict enjoyable or pleasurable activities to be less harmful than negative activities in ME.

In as much as it is possible to quantify levels of exertion involved, my personal experience is that pleasurable activities are as likely to trigger PEM as comparably exerting unpleasant activities. Perhaps even those activities releasing pleasure hormones are more of a risk of worsening my health as they may make me more likely to disregard rational self imposed restrictions on levels of exertion.

Would an episode of intimate pleasure be good for someone with ME in contrast to a night spent in emergency care with an injured child? Other than the former may involve less consequences from orthostatic intolerance, my suspicions are that negative consequences arise from the levels of exertion (cognitive and/or physical) involved regardless of any dopamine levels.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Functional disorders have completely changed away from Freud, we know so much more about... stuff... and things"

Also

"Freud said that and he was 100% right..."

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is what is missing from all these "theories" they have about ME ignore the fact that our symptoms are directly involved with how much we do. It is not quite straightforward because the same amount of exertion can have different effects at different times, but always, always it is more effort more sick.

It doesn't matter if it is fun or a chore, if I am happy or upset. Like Peter, I find that pleasurable things leave me worse because I do too much. Life is so dull that fun things are often worth the payback.

When I went to a wedding for the first time in years, even though I only stayed a few hours enjoying the music and the company (and all the dressing up and getting there!) it took 5 months before the worst effects relented.

If the BPS people seemed to have any awareness of that I would believe they were trying to treat ME instead of some strange entity of their own creation.

Invisible Woman, JemPD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"they don´t know" - but more normal-healthy persons then could tell or show me. Wasn´t it though that for - to pick one disease up - ME no traits have been found, end of the 90´s? And it almost never has been taken up again for "some" reason?

"Recently ..." and end of the argumentation, instead conveying somehow something.

At least they start thinking what could go on in the brain. But this here is trivial.

BTW, that DA neurons are vulnerable, that GABA neurons seem to be very sensitive, this would be also of importance - I havn´t read the articel yet - will they mention it? And could it mean anything?