The Born Free Protocol

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by jonathan_h, Jul 8, 2024.

1. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

There seems to be substantial, growing interest in this alt-med protocol among pwME if my Twitter is anything to go by—and not just among the people most into alt-med. So it seems worth being informed of.

The Born Free protocol is the creation of Joshua Leisk. Here’s how he introduced himself on s4me a couple years ago:
    I gather he would not be the first IT professional to believe he had, working in isolation, achieved a Nobel-worthy breakthrough in a field he had no formal training in.

One striking thing about his protocol is how those interested in it talk about it: it’s rare to see it mentioned without also seeing lamentation of how difficult, confusing, and overwhelming it is. This makes a lot of sense when one views Leisk’s 54-page protocol guide. Below, I’ll mention a few things that stood out to me from my reading of it.

—The protocol guide begins with a list of the things it treats:
    —Stage 1 of the protocol involves up to 50 different interventions—mostly supplements, but also significant dietary alterations and other practices (e.g. lymphatic massage). The protocol has 3 stages and adds further interventions on top of those from stage 1.

—Feeing more ill during the protocol is expected and explained by Leisk as a sign the protocol is working:
    While some successful interventions have paradoxical effects, the implications of this stance, absent better evidence the protocol works, are troubling to me.

—Leisk shares his (in my opinion, patronizing and dangerous) views on PEM and the necessity of pushing through it:
    This protocol’s substantial costs and risks, paired with growing community interest in it, are a troubling combination to me. I would love to see someone with relevant expertise examine in detail the scientific claims Leisk makes—I expect such a document would save some people money, time, and heartbreak.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
  2. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that strikes me as an impressive load of quakery. What a shame so many are falling for it.

This guy reminds me of David Jameson for some reason.

Michelle, MeSci, oldtimer and 12 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It doesn’t treat bad breath. Major red flag for me.

Michelle, oldtimer, Wyva and 14 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Michelle, MeSci, oldtimer and 18 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This idea that feeling worse is a good sign is very common in all sorts of situations, not just ME, and people are repeatedly told that they will get better. Decades ago I worked in an office with a man who believed devoutly in "No pain, no gain" and he took this to such extremes that he was never well and was usually in pain. In the end he became severely depressed and resigned and I've never seen him again since. Since the man was only in his early 30s he may have ruined his body permanently.

6. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

From Janet Dafoe on twitter a week ago: Whitney is working with Josh Leisk and seeing benefits from following the protocol.

Attached Files:

7. Yann04

Oh man. Once the word of that spreads, a very large number of people is going to try it.

8. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is just a farrago of gibberish. It's a bunch of half-understood ideas and half-baked concepts plucked from the literature and re-assembled with duct tape and string into one of the most profoundly pseudoscientific documents I've ever encountered. If people follow the advice in that PDF then some of them are going to come to harm.

This kind of thing really needs to be regulated out of existence.

9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There've been people like this as long as humans have had language, though. The narrative changes, but the frame story and devices are the same.

The only remedy is to keep reminding people they belong on the same shelf as implausibly-named princes with an urgent need to put eight million dollars in your bank account.

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reminds me why we are no longer members of another place that until recently we were not supposed to mention, and I still won't mention (by name). How we came to be not members.

11. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree. Proliferation of such nonsense is a sad and preventable outcome of society’s failure to invest in ME and find actual explanations and treatments.

I feel bad for the people who will try this out of desperation to feel better and follow his uninformed, costly, and harmful advice.

EzzieD, rvallee, oldtimer and 8 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

:D

EzzieD, oldtimer, Yann04 and 4 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

You can tell something is a scam by the name they give their product. We're building up a collection, with Lightning Process, Crysallis effect, and now the Born Free protocol. I'm sure there are more. Perhaps pacing needs a new name. Any suggestions?

I remember being horrified when OMF invited Leisk to one of their researchers' meetings.

14. Yann04

Usually, the more conditions it “cures”, the more scammy it sounds is a decent rule. Especially if the conditions are vague and without known treatments.

oldtimer, Arnie Pye, wingate and 5 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How about the Ninja Turtle Protocol

On the basis that Americans call tortoises turtles and the tortoise won the race by taking things steadily.

oldtimer, Arnie Pye, Trish and 7 others like this.
  16. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As it's about heeding your own needs instead of listening to cranks, maybe the Domestos Protocol.

"Kills 99.9% of all known blatherskite!"